Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Dealer Brake pad price

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  ST56 
#1 ·
Just had my MOT done (passed) but I had advisories on the brake pads.
2015, 43,000 miles.
No problem, seems an easy job to be honest.
Quick call to the local dealer for a price for the parts :rolleyes:
£280 near enough for a set of brake pads !!
Just looking for other peoples advice on what brand they have fitted rather than paying those ridiculous prices.
I've checked Euro Carparts, they have Brembo that are considerably less (£120).

Any thoughts, recommendations appreciated.
Thanks.

#3 ·
That price does not sound right at £280.
I have a brand new set from my local Ford dealer, still boxed, with purchase invoice for £60. They are Ford Motorcraft brand. No longer required as car sold.
You can have them for £25 plus postage if you want. Send me a pm

#6 ·
Carparts4less bit cheaper on Brembo than same company.
Thanks for the recommendation but I've already checked those and Euro Car parts are cheaper on this occasion.
Fronts £15 cheaper and rears £14 cheaper.
Amazing how they can sell at different prices yet they are the same company.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I met a very nice gentleman this afternoon and now have a set of rear pads in my possession. Thank you Trevor.
So i just need the fronts and I can proceed with the fitting. Seems an easy enough job, famous last words :).

#11 ·
I know there is a thread discussing 'Service Mode' for the rear calipers and how it has been suggested that the car has to be level before it will enter Service Mode, and it was mentioned whilst at Trevors.
My preferred method of working on my car is to only have as little of it as possible off the ground at any time, it just seems safer. So on the journey home my mind started ticking over. :)
If as suggested about the car needing to be level before it would enter Service Mode that would require both wheels off the ground at the same time. So I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about putting it into Service Mode first and then jack one side up, change pads, drop the car and repeat for the other side then exit Service Mode.
Surely once it is in Service Mode it wouldn't exit without warning.
Or does anyone know differently.

#12 ·
We don't know for definite it needs to be on/in a level status before engaging service mode but I think your idea of putting it in in service mode before jacking it up is a sensible idea that would overcome any possible problem

Reactions: ericthecat
#13 ·
Hi

Going my experience, car has to sit flat before entering service mode. You can then raise any wheel to work on, just ensure opposite wheel is wedged to prevent movement.

I have seen various YouTube vids on other makes where they have unplugged caliper, but not sure this is necessary with the Ford. Car will stay in service mode until it is reset. I know this because it took me several attempts and only finally achieved it the following day!

Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.