Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04 mondeo , gets up to About 120-130 celsius when driving over 40 mph, then falls down to About 106 celsius when driving in the city at low speed ..
Ive changed the waterpump, thermostat, the relay, the fuse and the fan resistor .. ive cleaned the radiator to , But its still running hot , what can it be ??

·
Super Moderator
29,548 Posts
What gives the 120/130 temperature? Dash or OBD tool? Dodgy temperature sender?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ohh yeah, sensor changed to .. it's the obd tool that shows it , the gauge goes up and down so i dont trust that One ..

·
Super Moderator
29,548 Posts
Are all the pipes getting hot? Does the radiator fan work?

Air leak/fuelling issue/running lean?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are all the pipes getting hot? Does the radiator fan work?

Air leak/fuelling issue/running lean?
Yes they do, and the fan kicks in at 107 celsius , but the temperature is still going up when im doing over 40 mph, No leaks, and it runs fine , but i still stop when it reaches 120 just so i dont burn it , cracks the top , og blows the head gasket.. useally im capably of figuring the problems out my self , but this is a mystery for me !🙄😂

·
Super Moderator
29,548 Posts
Thermostat should start to open at 88ºC and be fully open at 102ºC it should not get any hotter than that.

Have you got the electrical thermostat?

Is the radiator hot all over, side to side and top to bottom with no hotter spots or cold spots?

What about the heat inside the car? How quickly does the car warm and how hot does the heater get?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yes they do, and the fan kicks in at 107 celsius , but the temperature is still going up when im doing over 40 mph, No leaks, and it runs fine , but i still stop when it reaches 120 just so i dont burn it , cracks the top , og blows the head gasket.. useally im capably of figuring the problems out my self , but this is a mystery for me !🙄😂

107c sounds high

Did you change both the Fan sensor and the engine temp sensor?

My only other ideas would be a collapsed hose or potentiallythe expansion tank cap.

·
Hiding under a Rock
591 Posts
When I'm driving over 50kph it doesn't get hotter than 85 so it's definitely not fan related.
In fact, when I manually turn on the fan below 85, the temperature goes up to 95 ish before it starts to cool down - I'm guessing it's drawing a lot of power off alternator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thermostat should start to open at 88ºC and be fully open at 102ºC it should not get any hotter than that.

Have you got the electrical thermostat?

Is the radiator hot all over, side to side and top to bottom with no hotter spots or cold spots?

What about the heat inside the car? How quickly does the car warm and how hot does the heater get?
Yes, got the thermostat with sensor in it .
But on it it says it opens 98 c , and i read somewhere that 106 c is normal for tur mondeo ? The radiator is warm all over , and i flushed it with clean hot water..
107c sounds high

Did you change both the Fan sensor and the engine temp sensor?

My only other ideas would be a collapsed hose or potentiallythe expansion tank cap.
How can the cap do it ?? I Will check the hoses !!
When I'm driving over 50kph it doesn't get hotter than 85 so it's definitely not fan related.
In fact, when I manually turn on the fan below 85, the temperature goes up to 95 ish before it starts to cool down - I'm guessing it's drawing a lot of power off alternator.
Yeah and it getsmore air the faster you go, thats why i dont get it, it's not acting normal!😁

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yes, got the thermostat with sensor in it .
But on it it says it opens 98 c , and i read somewhere that 106 c is normal for tur mondeo ? The radiator is warm all over , and i flushed it with clean hot water..

How can the cap do it ?? I Will check the hoses !!

Yeah and it getsmore air the faster you go, thats why i dont get it, it's not acting normal!😁
If the Cap doesn't pressurise the system properly old hoses can restrict the circulation. The pressure opens them up if they are collapsed a bit.

Is their not a radiator temp sensor as well on the mk2 that switches the fan? That could explain the getting hotter at speed.as the drawn air could be cutting out the fan too early so the water going back into the engine has not been cooled enough.

·
Hiding under a Rock
591 Posts
Did this happen after any work done to the car or you did something to it?
A/C condensor sits right in front of the radiator, full width and almost top to bottom, so that could be something.
I suppose you can rule that out if fan draws good amount of air on the back side of the radiator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the Cap doesn't pressurise the system properly old hoses can restrict the circulation. The pressure opens them up if they are collapsed a bit.

Is their not a radiator temp sensor as well on the mk2 that switches the fan? That could explain the getting hotter at speed.as the drawn air could be cutting out the fan too early so the water going back into the engine has not been cooled enough.
I checked the hoses, i cant see anything wrong , and i can feel That they are pressurized ..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did this happen after any work done to the car or you did something to it?
A/C condensor sits right in front of the radiator, full width and almost top to bottom, so that could be something.
I suppose you can rule that out if fan draws good amount of air on the back side of the radiator.
Yeah the ac don’t work, so I thought about taking of the ac cooler to see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yeah the ac don’t work, so I thought about taking of the ac cooler to see if there is a difference.
Now that is in the mix of problems

What about Auxilliary belt slipping under load?

Is it fitted correctly around the pulleys and tensioned correctly.

Turns water pump fast enough when going slow but not at speed.

·
Hiding under a Rock
591 Posts
Now that is in the mix of problems

What about Auxilliary belt slipping under load?

Is it fitted correctly around the pulleys and tensioned correctly.

Turns water pump fast enough when going slow but not at speed.
If the condensor is out of the car and the radiator had been cleaned inside out and flows well, it would be water flow problem elsewhere, quite likely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts