Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Clever Clauggs
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car had a slight hum from front now developing into a drone, wheel bearings ok, intermediate drive shaft bearing is hot after a drive but so is gearbox, drone increases with speed in neutral gear, where else can i check hoping its not gearbox bearings.

·
Registered
2017 Mondeo ST Line X hatchback 2.0 TDCi 180.
755 Posts
tyre issue? ive seen some tyres feather radially and give off a drone like that, similarly if a tyre is starting to delaminate they can sometimes give off a drone like noise before being bad enough to be felt. failing that, assuming all bearings are indeed ok, my money would be on the diff bearings, as it does it in any (or no) gear. pain in the proverbial to get in and out, but manual gearboxes (im assuming its manual) are fairly simple to strip (if you are careful about spring loaded bits for gear selectors, where applicable) and then the bearings can be swapped.

·
Clever Clauggs
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply, n/s/f tyre is new o/s/f almost new swapped from left so not tyres as drone was there before swapping, not looking forward to doing diff bearings as might as well do clutch at same time too big a job for me.

·
Clever Clauggs
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I wonder if using Mannol engine oil for the first time has anything to do with it, always used Formula F, Castrol A5/B5 before it got too expensive.
Might try the Fiesta spec Castrol 5w20 as still got 15 litres, see if it makes any difference and gearbox oil syntrans now transmax FE 75w

·
Clever Clauggs
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As i was checking Fiesta gearbox oil level after leakage from reverse light switch managed to get in 0.25 litre of Transmax FE 75w, I checked the gearbox oil on the Mondeo it took 0.5 litre, hope this is the easy fix for the droning but i doubt it.
The ease with getting at fill plug on the Mondeo there is so much room and just put the oil plastic nozzle in and squeeze.
Hope the FE 75w is compatible with the old 75w 90.

·
Clever Clauggs
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Droning getting worse, switched engine off at roadworks, it struggled spluttered first time ever when turned back on, seemed to rev ok after turning on again, do i keep car or scrap it, Inclined to have a good check of wheel bearings and intermediate shaft bearing and even attempt removing gearbox to check bearings but need a garage as good weather is getting unpredictable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts