Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi i was wondering if anybody has successfully diagnosed a dry bearing sounding noise im thinking perhaps a cv joint or driveshaft support bearing if you have had these and cured them be interested to hear your experience's

symptoms are

Dry rumble bearing sound that sounds like its resonating (methodic thudding that gets quiet loud quiet loud quiet loud and so on with the overall quiet loud sound speeding up and slowing down with road speed but not neccesaraly as fast as you might think at say 70mph)

You can very slightly feel it in the steering wheel but not sure if this is general vibration or my issuse its certainly not that obvious at first

I have pointed it out to people who have not noticed it initially but when mentioned could then notice it

Does not seem to make any difference when cornering
Had a mechanic jack up the car and and check each wheel bearing and saying they are all fine, which makes me think its perhaps not them (all though while searching on hear a few people have said they had a noisey bearing without signs of play, but it does not change sound when cornering makes me put bearings to the back of my list?

Have dipped clutch at speed makes no difference to sound so definitely road speed related and not engine speed related

Somebody has mentioned tyres how would i check these without changing or borrowing some?
would tyres really make this sort of noise

I want it sorted as it gets on my nerves, my misses seems oblivious to it.

Dont want to spend a fortune but i have to get somebody to do it for me, which is very frustrating as i am very mechanically able but dont have the time and dont have a drive so doing all this on a road is not really practical

Appreciate any help advise etc.
Cheers

·
Old Fords never die they just keep on rolling.
3,051 Posts
Worn tyre can cause this noise.

Put your spare on one wheel at a time and see if it goes away at any point. Also does the noise change with the type of surface you are driving on? ie smooth tarmac or rough worn tarmac.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you find a fix for this? I have the same problem, just had wheel bearings done, cv boots inside and out, drive shaft bearing, driveshaft spider bearings and new tyres and still makes the sound!!

Any help much appreciated.

Joe

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only just had the chance due to work or the weather, I put my spare on my N/S front and there was a noticable difference in sound spare was noiser and steering was all over the place, but this may of been down to tyre pressure i have got 32 in it but on the side it says inflate to 60psi (its a spare saver type) im never sure if this is the Max or the recommended pressure, anyway the sound changed think it eliminated the annoyiny sound im referring to but not 100% convinced, my tyres still have good tread so im just going to put up with it untill i need some new ones or if i come into an excess of cash.
I was told by a dealer that saw toothing was common on mondeos but he said at the rear, as ive not had car more than a year yet the previous owner could of changed rears to the front! so could explain it!
any other info or success stories, i would appreciate your experiences
Cheers HR

Hi Joe have you changed all rotating assemblies on your car and still no change?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you find a fix for this? I have the same problem, just had wheel bearings done, cv boots inside and out, drive shaft bearing, driveshaft spider bearings and new tyres and still makes the sound!!

Joe
Hi Joe did you have the driveshaft carrier bearing changed cuz thats what i think mine is just hoping its something much simpler and cheaper first! let me know if you did
Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts

Joe
Hi Joe did you have the driveshaft carrier bearing changed cuz thats what i think mine is just hoping its something much simpler and cheaper first! let me know if you did
Cheers
[/quote]

No idea which bearing that is I am afraid. Had the spider bearing changed on one side of the Driveshaft n/s i think.. (costs about 30 for the part from Ford) and the main driveshaft bearing done (costs about 80 quid from Ford)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Only just had the chance due to work or the weather, I put my spare on my N/S front and there was a noticable difference in sound spare was noiser and steering was all over the place, but this may of been down to tyre pressure i have got 32 in it but on the side it says inflate to 60psi (its a spare saver type) im never sure if this is the Max or the recommended pressure, anyway the sound changed think it eliminated the annoyiny sound im referring to but not 100% convinced, my tyres still have good tread so im just going to put up with it untill i need some new ones or if i come into an excess of cash.
I was told by a dealer that saw toothing was common on mondeos but he said at the rear, as ive not had car more than a year yet the previous owner could of changed rears to the front! so could explain it!
any other info or success stories, i would appreciate your experiences
Cheers HR

Hi Joe have you changed all rotating assemblies on your car and still no change?
Only had one side done, altough it is not a normal wheel bearing noise.. Ie it sort of pulstates rather than a constant noise, also the mechanic checked the other side and no play in wheel bearings...

·
Little Megger
4,503 Posts
Hi, it's worth bearing in mind (pun intended!!!!) that the brake pads on the disk could be hiding any play in the wheel bearings.
I had 2 totally shot rear bearings, and it wasn't till I'd got the calipers out the way that I could detect any play at all.

·
Megger
748 Posts
I tried the method mentioned on here a couple of years back.....jack up whatever corner you suspect....hold the suspension spring with one hand and spin the road wheel with the other.....if there is any roughness you will feel it being transmitted through the spring.This worked for me,i drove the car for over a year with a constant drone and fluttering noise at around 70 on the motorway.....it did my head in for ages as there was no play whatsoever in the wheel bearing and even when we removed it,it looked ok.It was like driving a new car with it replaced,so quiet.I think the 18" alloys wear them out prematurely.

I also thought it was tyres,brakes and even the power steering pump causing the noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mark24v said:
I tried the method mentioned on here a couple of years back.....jack up whatever corner you suspect....hold the suspension spring with one hand and spin the road wheel with the other.....if there is any roughness you will feel it being transmitted through the spring.This worked for me,i drove the car for over a year with a constant drone and fluttering noise at around 70 on the motorway.....it did my head in for ages as there was no play whatsoever in the wheel bearing and even when we removed it,it looked ok.It was like driving a new car with it replaced,so quiet.I think the 18" alloys wear them out prematurely.

I also thought it was tyres,brakes and even the power steering pump causing the noise.
I will give this a go at the weekend and see if there is any feedback from the front o/s wheel, as that is where I am convinced the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent news did marks method highlight it or did you think what the helll I'll get it done so both are done? I'm really struggling with time and weather to have a real proper look, when I have time it's hammering it down! And when it's not I'm at work or on call! Knew I should of emigrated lol Also just wondering what your mileage is mines about 122,000 give or take a few was making the noise just after I brought the car at 117,000 Year ago end of October
What sort of price should I be looking at to get a new bearing fitted ( just labour if you know or including parts if you don't ) as I think I would get genuine ford bearings see them reasonably priced from one of the ford dealers on the bay
Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts