Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Zetec 2.0
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mk1 Mondeo had a problem with stalling/rough idle on cold starts, so to save time I decided to purchase a Ford OBD1 code reader to diagnose the problem. I thought finding a compatible reader would be straight forward task given there are so many inexpensive OBD1 readers available.
--
The first problem encountered was that the OBD1 (EEC-IV) readers available connect to a diagnostic connector socket in the engine compartment. I had no such connector.
--
I found out that the car has a 16-pin OBD2 connector port under the steering wheel. Searching the Mondeo forums I discovered that other Mk1 owners had reported that OBD2 readers had failed to work (data link error) when connected to this port.
--
Further investigation led me to the following web page.
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/star.htm
My socket had pins 3, 4, 5, 7, 11, 16 connected so I figured that this was the solution. It seemed logical, in preparation for OBD2 Ford had installed an OBD2 port inside the vehicle and wired up the OBD1 analogue interface to it. Wrong! - I built a test rig and it didn't work.
--
Finally further investigation led me to another web page by a guy who had managed to build a reader.
http://158.143.56.200/~steve/eeciv/
So the actual interface is digital (RS485) and uses the little known Ford proprietary DCL protocol to exchange data. Ford's in-house electrical engineering unit must have been developing this interface prior to the advent of OBD2. Anyway I managed to get hold of the unit (compact version) and installed the software on my laptop computer and it all worked fine. I was able to read codes stored in memory, perform the KOEO/KOER tests without counting flashing lights and also read live data from the ECU.
--
There may be other readers available. I think the ForDiag reader may work with this interface as well - using a RS485 adapter/cable.
--
Anyway, by sharing my experience I hope other mk1 owners find this information useful and time saving.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
did you sort your problem though?

feel under the back of the coilpack and there should be a rubber t piece of pipe runs from the block, this may be holed.

Attachments

·
Zetec 2.0
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info on the t-piece. Retrieved a diag code relating to the MAF sensor. Replaced it and everthing's back to normal.
Incidently, researching the operation of the MAF I discovered that if the ECU detects that the MAF has failed it will fire off a diagnostic fault code and then estimate a value for the sensor, operating the engine with this fixed value, thus allowing the ECU & engine to operate without a functioning MAF.

I had consulted countless posts to blogs and forums concerning this problem and had concluded that the fault was most likely caused by the IAC valve. I was planning to replace it which is a fairly big task given its location on the Zetec. Making use of the diagnostics reader saved me quite a lot of time and money.

·
Zetec 2.0
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention that when I was trialing the Star (analogue OBD1) on the port I discovered that the port was inoperative as there was no voltage on pin 16. Should be +12 volts. I tested it by placing the +ve lead of the multimeter to Pin 16 and the -ve lead to Ground (found a good conductor on the steering column bracket). The fault turned out to be a missing fuse in the fuse panel (passenger side footwell). Don't know what the fuse was for, just stuck a fuse in the empty socket and it fixed the problem.

I suggest anyone planning to connect a reader for the first time use a multimeter to verify that the OBD port is active and functional.
I found the following videos useful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e-9_FuMWzI

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts