Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had my Mk3 TDCI 130 for about 8 months now and covered the best part of 13k miles and love it. Well almost all of it - I'm missing the refinement, sound and rev range of a petrol engine so I'm currently thinking about trading it in for an '03/'04 Mk 3 V6's in either ST220 or Ghia X guise.

Economy isn't an issue for me, although I'd be interested to know how realistic the combined cycle book figure of 28mpg is. Also, are there any common problems/things to look out for on the V6 engines, and is it worth holding out for a 3.0l over a 2.5l, if I plump for the Ghia X?

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who has driven both the diesel and the V6's and how they compared on the road in terms of performance, handling and refinement? :D

Thanks, Chris

·
Little Megger
15 Posts
driven both the 130,115 (5sp) and ST TDCI and used to own ST220.

get the ST220 with the 6sp box, with xenon lights.

Ghia X is nice but isn't as sporty as the ST.

ride and handling is very good on the ST.

the grunt from the 3.0 V6 is huge, it pulls from any gear any revs. but yet at 4000rpm the engine makes a rush for the red line!

the TDCI 130 is quite nippy on the motorway, but the ST is faster as you can drop it down 2 gears and let it rip. fuel consumption is ok, around town low to mid 20's, motorway low to mid 30s.

average combined for me was mid to high 20's.

·
MEG Commander
3,573 Posts
Hi there, I get between 28 and 32 from my V6. Sometimes in lots of bad traffic it can drop to 25, but 28 is a more realistic minimum.

While I haven't driven a '220 or a 3.0 non-ST, I would still try to get one of the 3.0 engines in favour of the 2.5. The 3.0 will be less economical though. It does however come out of the box with 200BHP, whereas it will cost a small fortune to get a 2.5 up to that level. I also believe that the manifolds on the 3.0 are less restrictive, so it should run more efficiently.

Handling shouldn't vary much between petrol and diesel, but the ST will handle better. Part of the attraction of the Ghia X would be the 17" wheels which shouldn't tramline as much as the 18's. Bear in mind though that pre '55 plate Zetec / Zetec S has sports suspension, which the Ghia doesn't.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a 51-plate Laguna with a 3.0 24v V6 lump, and chopped it in for a 2.5V6 Mk II Mondeo.

IMO it is well worth going for the 3.0 unit. The 2.5 is a capable engine, but it's just not as exciting.

Until you've driven the 3.0V6, you won't see what I mean, but the difference of 50bhp and 50lb/ft really do make a difference.

B

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! Some rough calculations based on Ford's published mpg figures suggest that the 2.5 V6 and 3.0l V6 are as thirsty as each other so it's just a question of whether the extra insurance cost of the ST220 is worth it (I suspect it is ;)).

Time to book some test drives :L

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts