Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these diesel tuning boxes on ebay the same idea ( albeit it more complicated ) as the 'resistor' in the MAP / MAF sensor for petrol cars ? ( Here )

been looking about and found a good few 'generic' boxes for commonrail diesels, also found the good old bluefin and similar, e.g. Diesel Tuner ( http://dieseltuner.co.uk/ )

any comments, 'toying' with the idea, i have the 2.0 TDCi 130 but not sure how accurate the 30 - 40bhp gain claims are.. preferably a piggy back solution, as opposed to a live map on the ECU, prefer the 'plug and play' idea of being able to remove it !

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Easiest way to get more power on a diesel is to monkey with the common rail sensor to get the fuel pump to stick in more diesel. This is what the analogue and digital tuning boxes do....

I've run both a Tandem analogue and a Dragon Digital (latest model) on my TDCI and the gains are very noticeable. People who've driven the car reckon it's running 160-170bhp, but say that it feels a lot more torquey and a lot less wheezy top end compared to standard, which is more important to me. My box is running on the max setting. Oh, and fuel economy for my daily commute of fast A and B roads is the same or better than without it on :D

If you're going for the Dragon box, they have an eBay shop (dragonperformanceuk.2 I think) where you can pick up the boxes cheaper than on their main website...

Chris

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
I have a Tandem Digital Box and K&N Panel Filter on my TDDi (bought them off a fellow megger) and its opened up a fair bit more torque lower down the revs and increased the economy on short trips.

Good results by them and you can take them off and flog them on when you change the car (which worked out well for me) :L

·
Diesel Head
1,929 Posts
Hey up Chris

when did you get the dragon box?

is it any better than the Tandem analogue box?

cheers Phil

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Long story, Phil, but here's the short version :D

I was looking at trading in the Mondy a few months back for an E39 530d so I decided to return it to standard and sold the Tandem box. After 3 months of driving around in a slow old standard TDCI, not being able to find the 530d spec I wanted, I decided that I'd invest in another tuning box as I could always sell it on again and I got offered a Dragon for a very good price ;).

My thoughts are that power-wise they're probably about the same, although I think the Dragon has a slightly better delivery and pips it for low end torque. One thing I have noticed is that on the max setting it hasn't tripped the glow plug light, but that may well be because it's not agressive as the Tandem top end, or it maps round the particular problem revs?

I'd say if you're happy with the analogue box, you'll not notice a great deal of difference, but if you're ever down this way, you're welcome to have a go with it :D

Chris

·
Diesel Head
1,929 Posts
ScoobyChris said:
I'd say if you're happy with the analogue box, you'll not notice a great deal of difference, but if you're ever down this way, you're welcome to have a go with it :D

Chris
cheers chris will bear it in mind :L

·
MEG Monster
1,200 Posts
just bought a digi dragon box, a already have a K57i induction kit on, im lookin forward to see how the car performs now.

will keep you posted once it arrives on monday

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.