Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Mad Kiwi
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because ST220s are very hard to come by down here (only 18 were ever brought down here), the ST220 3.0L transplant is out of the question. BUT, there are an awful lot of old Taurus Ghias sitting quietly, and I noticed that they share a similar inlet manifold, so is the Taurus motor the same or similar to the ST220 motor? Will this be a viable option for doing a donkey swap? Also, is there much in the way of tuning for either motor?

·
DRIVEN...
4,122 Posts
Identical, just the exhaust and inlet manifold differs. Think the cams are the same.

·
The Mad Kiwi
3,849 Posts
Awesome. A 3.0L conversion is back on the table then.

Next question: Will that motor bolt straight up to an MTX75 gearbox or do I have to get a DuraShift box for it? Also can I remove the silly dual mass flywheel and put in a standard one?

·
DRIVEN...
4,122 Posts
Dmf remains but mtx75 bolts on to that lump.

·
The Mad Kiwi
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good. All that's needed now is to somehow not break a DMF. How do DMFs break?

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Good. All that's needed now is to somehow not break a DMF. How do DMFs break?
by using them basically lol the harder theyre pushed the shorter they last. theres no way you can stop a dmf failing but you can make it last longer by not stressing it too much but then that takes the fun out of driving.

·
Premium Member
26,464 Posts
DMF's don't really fail on the 220's, very rare, it mainly seems to afflict the diesel models.

·
The Mad Kiwi
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. What about looms and the ECU? Will they plug straight up or is there a bit of work involved? Also do i have to use the Taurus ECU?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts