Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MEG Corporal
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I run a 17" 205/50 and a 16" 205/55 on the same axle? According to tyresave the difference in overall diameter is 5mm or 0.79%.
Dangerous??
Cheers. :L

·
Registered
185 Posts
Its technically illegal, but you break the same law when you put a space saver on, so there must be some leeway with it.

I would do it if it was only for a few days, and you kept the speed sensible.

·
MEG Corporal
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'll avoid it.
:L

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
there must be some loophole for spacesavers or surely the manufacturers could not supply them , i think :shifty:

·
MEG Corporal
522 Posts
it is Illegal as it is a mot fail but i have been doing this 4 a month as need to get wheel weilded

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
paulyoung666 said:
there must be some loophole for spacesavers or surely the manufacturers could not supply them , i think :shifty:
This is kind of a grey area... as the spacesaver is really counted as an 'emergency spare'... i mean police on the road would not (well at least i hope!) stop you for having a spacesaver on and heading to a tyre fitting place!

But if you keep running on one then with no doubt you are breaking the law... and pushing your luck really...

·
Couch Potato
2,944 Posts
siacelestar said:
paulyoung666 said:
This is kind of a grey area... as the spacesaver is really counted as an 'emergency spare'... i mean police on the road would not (well at least i hope!) stop you for having a spacesaver on and heading to a tyre fitting place!

But if you keep running on one then with no doubt you are breaking the law... and pushing your luck really...
And car will fail MOT if presented with a spacesaver tyre on.

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
kithmo said:
And car will fail MOT if presented with a spacesaver tyre on.
Well definitely... and tbh... only stupid ones would do that!

But if think about that... those who are 'intelligent' enough to do the tyre change to a spacesaver... should be 'intelligent' enough to realise that the spacesaver will not pass the MOT! :tongue: :whistling:

Phil :tongue:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.