Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just fitted drilled and grooved disks to the front of my car. It has just dawned on me that these can be fitted either way around. I.E. the grooves convexed or concave in the direction of travel, which way around should they be fitted? Does it matter?

Attachments

·
Never knowingly understood
23,164 Posts
Good question my friend, I'm just about to do a V6 brake upgrade and now wonders the same as I've got those to fit????????????

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
theylook the right way in the pic

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
if the front of your car is rigth side of the pic i think you they have to be swapped.
just opinion, although i've seen them like that on the road as well.

·
Never knowingly understood
23,164 Posts
So the way I'm reading this.......... the grooves must be in the rotation to allow owt (water, debris, etc) to escape outwards by centrafugal rotation. In the piccie ^, clockwise rotation would not do that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is the right side in the pic, however the person above seems to think that they are on the right way, I never even gave it a thought when I fitted them. However have seen this picture at Mad Moles.... his seem to be on the same way as mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
SDR said:
http://www.reddotracing.co.uk/obd/answers.asp?id=37
and according this above the pics are wrong.
just opinion.
"A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation."
Yep this is right, a disk with curved VANES must be fitted the correct way round as described. NOTE this is for curved VANES (which support the two sides of the disk), and is nothing to do with grooves. More often than not, the disks that meggers are buying which have grooves, also have straight VANES which are omnidirectional (go have a look and you will see what i mean), and the grooves can be put on either way round and will work equally well whichever side they are put on.

AP does some seperate disks for alloy bells that have curved vanes in one direction, but the groves go in the opposite direction on the same disk (mainly for strength reasons). In this case the VANES curve away from the direction of rotation and the grooves towards the direction of rotation.

Sorry for the long post, but if you have disks with STRAIGHT VANES, it is of no consequence which way round the GROOVES go.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Frankly I dont care which way round anyone has their disks, I was just trying to save you the aggro of swapping them. They will work equally well either way round, and this is proven: i.e. it is not an armchair pundits opinion.

I hope most of you know the difference between a groove and a vane.

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
groves and vanes are well distinct, i see two points here the site cited above:
"Additionally, all of RedDot slotted discs are directional as well, regardless of the vane geometry. The discs should be installed such that the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the disc contacts the pad first. "
and how the discs are fitted on majority of the cars on the roads.

·
MEG Commander
6,006 Posts
The guy who built my brakes even kindly marked them up nearside and offside so I couldn't gp wrong :)

Steve

·
MEG Corporal
667 Posts
willpot said:
Frankly I dont care which way round anyone has their disks, I was just trying to save you the aggro of swapping them. They will work equally well either way round, and this is proven: i.e. it is not an armchair pundits opinion.

I hope most of you know the difference between a groove and a vane.
Just on your point
EBC discs come directional with the grooves going backwards
If they say going backwards and the other drilled grovved discs look similar then i would go with the EBC theory

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
SDR said:
http://www.reddotracing.co.uk/obd/answers.asp?id=37
and according this above the pics are wrong.
just opinion.
"A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation."
from what i know that is right ....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.