Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can I disable the central locking on my Galaxy. I,m thinking its causing my battery to go flat, as I don't use the car much. Could I lock the doors manually with the key, to give some security.?

·
Little Megger
494 Posts
You can certainly pull the relevant fuse to disable it. Have a look in your manual to find the correct one and check it doesn't cover any other circuits.

That being said, what makes you think you have a faulty central locking system which is causing the drain?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The flashing light sometimes stops working. I unlock the door and the alarm goes off. If I don't use the car for a few days leaving it locked the battery goes flat. I fitted new alternator and battery, but it still does it. Is there a gadget I can plug in to show a drain? .There are no lights left on. I was going to try taking the fuse out and see if it still does it. Central locking has to be activated with the key, not the button, previous owner said. Have never used the fob for locking it. Maybe if I lock it using another door? Maybe its shorting at the drivers door.

·
SMeghead
1,122 Posts
Known issues with the wiring looms in doors and tailgate. Try opening the grommet and checking that wires are not frayed and shorting. Might also be broken inside the insulation. Causes all sorts of electrical mayhem.

The only answer is to cut the wires and insert pieces to increase length, then reinsulate. Try the tailgate first; that seems to be the favourite place. Driver's door after that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like this theory. In fact I am sure I have seen sparking down behind the window glass when locking it at night, and also when the red flashing light stops flashing, a thump on the door will activate it again. I don't think I have the skill to do it myself, but its an quite possible reason.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have to return to this topic. Had been not locking the car for the last 18 months, but Sunday night at 1 am. I had visitors, who entered the car, but did not take anything as they were disturbed by a police patrol car , and ran off. Other cars in town had apparently been targeted too. So now I need to get the central locking working again. But now its developed a different problem, its not being activated by the drivers door lock. I can lock that door on its own, but the warning light does,nt flash. I can then lock the rest of the doors from the passenger door, as normal central locking would do, but still no red flashing light.I think there must be a problem in the drivers door wiring, either no feed, or no earth. or bad contact, and that is why the light is not flashing. Am a bit wary of stripping the trim off, is it easy?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, got the trim almost free, only broke a couple of clips. just the cable and Led to disconnect. Am going to try doing it like that, hold the trim panel up above it. I want to see what state the actuator is in That's about the limit of my electrical prowess. I

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got trim off, led works, so its not that bullb. It has to be the door lock itself . Am stuck now, that's beyond my capabilities. I hate to think I might have to go to a dealers.

·
SMeghead
1,122 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Further to last month, I bought another door lock, had it put in, but theres no change to the situation. So it has to be the wiring.. A second-hand loom is £80-£95, . Don't think its worth doing ..And I,m no electrician.Its on hold for now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cancel that statement, somehow it has started locking the drivers door from the passenger side. All unlocks, except fuel flap, that's a new twist. had to climb in the back to release that. Didn't find that had happened til I pulled in a garage , Red light don't flash still. I found a brand new loom for £99-95. Shall I? .

·
SMeghead
1,122 Posts
Plenty of examples on that other forum of people curing utterly bizarre behaviour by rewiring the doors. Slow and steady, with plenty of documenttion seems to be the key.

Also be careful when reassembling the plug in the pillar, as segments can become displaced.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What Ive done now is wire in a red led flashing light in the door, operated by a separate switch, which I use when I leave it . So the car is locked all round, with a flashing red light, I,m going to have to get a loom, sometime, to get it operating as it was intended, it just seems a lot of money for something that could still have a fault.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.