Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello meggers, cars been using water for a while now since i overheated when my waterpump went, which i replaced with a metal one which was a successful job i.e no leaks any where. but since has been using water (about a pint every 100 miles) ive checked for leaks from the pump etc whilst the missus revved it up etc but nothing, checked the heater matrix under the dash and nothing there either!. i noticed that it's chuffing a bit under load in between the heads so at the weekend i stripped the inlet manifolds down to check if they'd come loose after cleaning my secondaries a while ago but they where all nice and tight when i put it back together but the chuffing/ticking is still there. so i expect i have a h/g problem. ive looked into doing this myself and i think im capable of doing it even though it looks a nightmare. i know most of you have skimmed your heads but what ive done is bought 2 heads off a t reg cougar which had covered 67 k but the bottem end had been knocking so he replaced the whole engine, he said that he'd never had any overheating or troubles with the engine before it died, so the heads were described as 100% reliable!! and would'nt need skimming! ive checked them with a plate of glass and it sits snugly on the top with no movement on both, so to me they seem fine, but do you think i should skim them anyway?? just in case??. also ive noticed that the rocker covers are plain ally and not black like mine is there any reason for this??? any ideas gratefully received andy :D p.s sorry for the long story :yawn:

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
right as for the black and silver coulors that is age , on the early cars 96 on etc they had black head tops , later ones had silver 98on etc , unless you have a st200 witch are black :D

if you think your HG has gone there is lots of how tos on here , you say it chufs and it is using water , have you check every where to make sure you have no leaks etc , all so as for the chuffing , have you checked your plugs / leads / coilpack / MAF senser etc , there are lots more bits but you need to rule out other things before you say it is a HG prob , any other signs that could be HG...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi there, my st is a 97 with black covers and the two heads ive got are from a 99t with silver covers! ive been searching around for any leaks etc for a couple of weeks or so now with no resolve to the water loss or the air leak which is starting to sound like a steam train. ive been looking at all the how to's including yours! which have gave me alot of info about doing the job. obviously i could take it to ford for them to do tests etc but they charge loads dont they! i did the intake manifolds again but it was just the same as i said before as for the plugs/leads etc they are all pretty new aswell but ive not checked the plugs for tightness etc but do you think these heads ive bought would be o.k to just whack on due to the good reference from the seller about these??

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
as far as i know the black / silver heads are the same to fit on the V6 , the way you have told me it does sound like the HG

·
Turbo'd ST24
10,084 Posts
what part of leicester are u??? There is a nice silver st24 with the back lights sprayed in the same silver and it looks pretty cool and when i pass into leicester to do shopping i pass by the car, just wanted to know what part of leicester u live at, i live in langham near oakham if you know is in rutland leicestershire, they are small places but are quite nice :L

·
Big Megger
350 Posts
I suggest to skimm the heads, it will cut away the dents from gaskets, even if you take the Cougar flat heads, better to doo the job, just to be sure!
When I skimmed mine, they were flat but surface has to be prepared before instalation, IMO.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
prior to skimming the heads do you have to remove the cams, valves/seals,lifters etc or just the cams? and is there any special tools required to do the job?

·
Big Megger
350 Posts
yes, the heads need to be stripped down (also the valves, not sure about the sealers, but this not hard to remove them if know how!!- use 15 socket+extention bar, push it on the sealer a bit, turn a bit and then pull the thing off the seat!), need special tool- the valve spring compressor.
Sure the tool cost money (~50), but I made one myself.
Then you need a vine bottle opener (~2) and universal carpenters jaw (~10), cola cork and some bolts, studdy out my pic. there the tool can been seen in some ;)
This stripping takes time, but this is worth it, IMO. BTW change the valve sealers at once!!

http://www.bildez.lv/foto/marx/duratec

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the advice mate, i went into a place that does recon heads and engines today to ask them about doing the skimming and they said i would nt have to remove the cams etc!! just bring them in as they are! cost about 25 pounds each head and that includes steam cleaning them aswell plus 1 pound each for new exhaust manifold studs and bolts! i just hope they are right about not stripping them :eyesup: :eyesup:

·
Big Megger
350 Posts
Cams you will have to remove anyway to get the heads off- bolts are under the cams :D
About valves, OK if they will clean all up, you can leave the valves in, they know it better what they can do..
Good luck! :L

1 - 11 of 11 Posts