Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 2.0 TDI Mk4 163 with 135K on the clock.

I’ve noticed that when the engine is warm, the car rattles if you pull the clutch in half way. There is no noise at the top of the travel or the bottom of the travel. Nothing when the engine is cold either. No vibrations through the pedal.

However at the end of a long run, quite often when I’m parking up and manoeuvring the car on the clutch, you can hear a rattle/knocking. This happens whether I’m in gear or in neutral.

I’ve had a few suggestions of it being the beginning of the end for my DMF, but also suggestions that it could be a dying throw-out bearing or even the slave cylinder.

Anyone had a similar experience? Is my gearbox about to explode or will the car carry on just fine for another 20K miles?

Swapping the DMF, clutch and bearing assembly looks like it will be a £700 job, so happy not to do it, if this is my 20K mile warning, although don’t fancy being left at the side of the motorway because I’ve not acted when I should have.

All insights welcome.

·
Super Moderator
29,796 Posts
The DMF usually wont just fail. It will get a really bad rattle that will cause the engine to vibrate and it may
kill the starter motor.

My sister ignored the DMF rattle and killed 3 starter motors before she got the DMF replaced. So the final
bill came to more than just doing the job in the first place.

Whats it worth to you? Is it something your going to replace soon anyway? Or is it worth keeping after replacing
the clutch and DMF? 135k is nothing so it should easily double that.

·
Registered
926 Posts
The DMF usually wont just fail. It will get a really bad rattle that will cause the engine to vibrate and it may
kill the starter motor.

My sister ignored the DMF rattle and killed 3 starter motors before she got the DMF replaced. So the final

Whats it worth to you? Is it something your going to replace soon anyway? Or is it worth keeping after replacing
I wholhearted agree with Purple on this.

My only caveat nowadays would be "beware of ulez" expansions

Diesels need to be euro 6 for London as an example. (generally post 2015 diesel cars)

Pressure is being put upon other Boroughs to do more too.

Greater Manchester is now applying the rules to Taxis Vans and motorhomes etc but thankfully exempting "private" cars

But it's a concern.

·
Super Moderator
29,796 Posts
I just see the news that shops in cities are dying and struggling and wonder why they wont let us drive to
them and park at sensible prices.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kill the starter motor.

Thanks it's good to hear it probably won't explode. I thought the starter motor thing was a Mk3 issue not a Mk4 one? Still not sure it is in the DMF TBH, but what ever the problem is, the solution is the same, drop the box and replace clutch, bearing, flywheel and slave, so it is a moot point in that regard.

I only average about 6K miles a year, so if it will last another 20K miles, its got several years before I need to think about fixing it, at which point the cars value and the cost of the job will probably be equal. If it needs doing sooner than that, I will just get it done, because the value of second hand cars is nuts at the moment.

We shall see how much worse it gets over the next week or so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wholhearted agree with Purple on this.

My only caveat nowadays would be "beware of ulez" expansions

Diesels need to be euro 6 for London as an example. (generally post 2015 diesel cars)

Pressure is being put upon other Boroughs to do more too.

Greater Manchester is now applying the rules to Taxis Vans and motorhomes etc but thankfully exempting "private" cars

But it's a concern.
Yeah it's an issue, but Diesel cars aren't worthless yet. Car is probably worth £2.5K at the moment so not worth writing off over a £700 bill just yet. A couple of years time however, would be a different case I suspect.

This could be a push to replace it, but the price of second hand cars at the moment are nuts.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yeah it's an issue, but Diesel cars aren't worthless yet. Car is probably worth £2.5K at the moment so not worth writing off over a £700 bill just yet. A couple of years time however, would be a different case I suspect.

This could be a push to replace it, but the price of second hand cars at the moment are nuts.
Used car prices should go back to normal next summer when all the lockdown savings have been spent and people feel safe going abroad again

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
kill the starter motor.

Went through 3 starter motor's myself , factory one went at about 10yrs old..expected.. ,second one lasted about 18 month's..thought it a fluke..third one lasted about a year......hmmmm... after the fourth one fitted the mondog blew it's clutch six months later at the start of 2019..if my memory serves me right...lol..

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts