Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Conversmod & Powermod UK Install & Support
2016 Mondeo mk5 Titanium 2.0 TDCI 180ps
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So - I replaced all the suspension on the car (F&R), springs, arms, struts, bearings the lot about 18 months ago - all with gen ford parts EXCEPT for the springs which where replaced with KYBs. Found a local garage who could do full geometry alignment; they used the new supertracker digital system (not the old 2 wheels and a mirror lark). the guy reckoned they were better than the hunter, so thought why not.

Aligned everything the first time, and he said would prob need another adjustment in a month or so because it was all new. i forgot to go back lol. When i looked at a front tyre about 3 months later they were wearing quite a lot, so went back in December and spoke them. they said they'd do a full alignment again and check it all - and then showed me both tyres where knackered, but close to the limit - so i put a set of Landsail tyres on the front to see what they where like (brilliant apparently). they did the alignment - wrong. I argued the toss and someone else came to look at it and agreed with me and aligned it all again. car seemed ok.

This week one of the landsail tyres blew out when i hit a rain gutter on the motorway. changed it and when i went to get the tyre replaced I got michelin PS4s on again as I hated the lack of grip from 6 month old Landsails! I've just checked the n/s tyre and its almost down to the metal on the inner edge - see images. I've asked the other garage to keep hold of the blown out tyre for me so i can check that one as well as clearly something is well out now.

Question is - does this alignment look ok? this is what they had it set as when i left - only just noticed now the thrust angle looks wrong?

Do i go back and kick off or just go somehwhere else!

Attachments

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,465 Posts
Hi Ian,

Reference the front tyre problems

You cannot alter front camber or castor.

The figs are within limits BUT

The official figures from Ford regarding tracking are quite wide - the allowance being from toe in to toe out being within limits.

If I find a veh with tyre wear on inner edge I always set the tracking to max, or almost max, permitted toe in figs - so in your case I would now have it set to max toe in settings that Ford allow.

If tyre wear was excessive on outer edge - set to max, or almost max toe out.

Obviously this is on understanding all susp arms, ball joints, bushes, s/abs etc are all correct

So, a veh can be "within the limits range", therefore you cant shoot the technician, but, one needs to look at the bigger picture and use tech knowledge.

I have known cases where a veh has inner tyre wear and the tracking is toeing out, but within limits, so the dealer just says tracking is ok - crazy

·
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. i've been back today - they can't find anything that would cause the problem - but the alignment is MILES out. one back wheel now reports toe of 0.00 and the nearside +1.20. as expected the front ones are now well off after this week - n/s -2.10 and o/s 0.02.

Would a buckled wheel cause the readings to go that far out? i guess the sensors are only hung on the tyres

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,465 Posts
If the equipment used is clamped to the wheel rim then a badly buckled rim is a no no.
Just sticking to your problem - the front tyres being excess wear on inner tread - why have the settings "gone off" again, that's the question.
I know it costs money but possibly consider another place who has Hunter equipment? - difficult one Ian

·
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't think they can be badly buckled as i would have felt it. Theres about 60-70g balance on the old front ones and 40-45g on the old back ones. old front are a bit high but not enough tou indicate a serious wobble i don't think ?

·
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So an update on this - I went to another depot - apparently there have been quite a few complaints about that place....wonder why!

anyway, they had the newer version of the supertracker system and he spent a long time aligning everything - turns out the alignment figures given above were completely wrong, and the figures hadn't changed as they said. the n/s rear was still toeing out slightly, so that was adjusted back for me. the odd thing is the n/s rear wheel has got more camber on it than the other side; nothing bent and all ford parts were used when i replaced it all so don't know whats going on tbh.

My problem now after a few hundred miles is that i still don't think the alignment is right - the outside of the o/s front wheel is wearing more than the rest of the tyre and feels like it's feathering to the point of tearing at the edges; the n/s front is a similar story on the inside. My thought now is perhaps because the supertracker doesn't take a true centreline on the car alignment that perhaps it's crabbing or something. really has got me stumped - handling wise it seems fine, no wobble no uneven handling or steering - although it does seem to be a lot more willing to follow road camber and require more steering adjustment than in the past. I've gone over all the suspension this wekend with a pry bar and can fine no bends, buckles, play, nothing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts