Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Little Megger
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I had a new DPF fitted by a local exhaust centre - not a genuine Ford item but from a reputable motor factor. A few weeks after it was fitted the car started doing frequent regens (about every second run!) and that was followed by a 'Service Oil' warning and eventually an 'Engine Malfunction' warning. I took the car to a local garage and they said the oil quality was poor due to diesel in the sump. They flushed the engine, changed oil and filter, did a manual regen and cleared the codes. Now, within about 500 miles exactly the same thing has happened again!

It appears that the car is not carrying out the regen process properly and there is a connection between this and the diesel in the sump. The garage said they were aware of a problem with diesel pumps leaking into the sump but that wasn't the problem with my one. My feeling is that the extra diesel that's injected to instigate the regen cycle is not being 'fired' and so the regen doesn't complete, although I'm not clear how that diesel can land in the sump?

The garage is going to have another look next week but I was wondering if anyone has a clue what's happening. Vaporiser glow plug faulty perhaps? Should the DPF settings have been reset when the filter was changed? I'm assuming the garage checked the hoses and sensors. I do know the exhaust centre reused the sensors.

I've had the car from new (13 years!) and haven't had a moment's trouble until the DPF was replaced in January. Mileage is around 75,000.

·
Super Moderator
31,063 Posts
Several DPF options depending on the year which you did not mention?

2009 ? What engine?

·
Little Megger
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Several DPF options depending on the year which you did not mention?

2009 ? What engine?
Oops sorry - 2.0 TDCI (PSA engine) I haven't looked underneath but I'm guessing it doesn't have the vaporiser

·
Little Megger
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oops sorry - 2.0 TDCI (PSA engine) I haven't looked underneath but I'm guessing it doesn't have the vaporiser
Update = Car's been back to local garage. They haven't found any problem with the DPF system on diagnostics but they have reset all the DPF settings and changed the oil again. They say that if it does it again it's almost certainly the high pressure diesel pump leaking.

My Mondeo doesn't have the vaporiser so diesel for regen goes straight into the cylinders. My understanding of the 'oil quality' warning is that it computes mileage, time elapsed and number of regens and decides the oil has degraded but the garage thinks that there is a sensor that actually measures oil quality (??) If there is then it's understandable that a leaking pump would trigger this but if it's based on regens, etc then extra diesel from a bad pump wouldn't affect it. The oil has certainly degraded in less than 700 miles.

Can anyone advise if a bad pump would cause this fault before I shell out big money? Does the car really diagnose 'bad oil'?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts