Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Little Megger
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice from the more knowledgeable if possible
Over the last few days I've noticed a slight vibration on the near side front more noticeable when going along uneven road surfaces.
So today I jacked it up and when rotating the wheel forward and back there was a distinct grinding sound, checked the driver side and no problem there. So at least I've narrowed the offending area down correctly.
Is there a foolproof way to ascertain which component has failed, bearing in mind (no pun intended) I'm checking this on the drive on my back, so limited working space :)
I'm assuming it's one of the two mentioned in the title.
Couldn't have been worse timing as I'm off to Scotland in 2 weeks on holiday and it involves many hundreds of miles ;(

Any suggestions appreciated as always.

Pete.

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,460 Posts
Initial early warning of d shaft failure is knocking from CV joint. The failing joint knock will be even worse if ,on a safe car park for example, you drive it round, both ways, in a circle on full lock. Any failing joint will knock rotationally in these circumstances.
From what you describe you can do, I would suspect it is a wheel bearing, but try the driveshaft test anyway.
The above is just my opinion from the noise you describe, best of luck

·
Little Megger
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Trevor,
I've not had any knocking when cornering just an annoying vibration, it's like having a load of pebbles stuck in the tyre treads.
I'll probably get done for doing donuts on the local Asda car park in the morning knowing my luck :)

Pete.

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,460 Posts
also, with the road wheel off the ground, gripping the top and bottom of the tyre can you feel any play/end float if you rock the tyre/wheel in and out - if there is, this would also point to wheel bearing

·
Little Megger
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was one of the first things I checked, rocking the wheel feeling for any play. Then again on my MK3 the wheel bearing just whined like hell, it sounded like a jet engine when coming off a motorway and slowing down on the slip road and there was no play in that.

·
Little Megger
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right then, did the check that Trevor suggested and nothing untoward was noticed. I was actually on my way to my brothers and I told him about the 'problem' I had.
He suggested taking it to his mate to have a look, he runs his own garage business and has done for over 30 years.
So he took it for a drive, had it on the ramp and checked the bearings, drive shafts and had a good look around underneath. Absolutely nothing found wrong with it.
He actually said that the 3 or 4 Mondeos he'd had in were for either water or oil leaks, but in his words mine was 'mint' and bone dry. ;)
The only suggestion he made was that the discs had a lip on them, maybe that was causing a slight vibration and I was being overly pessimistic about the cause.
So for now my mind is at ease and I'm
a: Going to stop reading about faults on the MK5
b: Stop watching YouTube videos on how to fix possible faults
c: Bugger off to Scotland and chill out.

Thanks.

Pete.

PS. I might just fit new discs when I get back, there must be a video on YouTube for that 🤪

1 - 6 of 6 Posts