Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible they to dry out without any splits, slits on the gaiters or any splashes of grease?

on mine got the original metal ties and don't wanna to take them out to find out the the grease inside is fine. worst case they've been there for 6 years since new.

·
MEG Corporal
2,800 Posts
Don't know about drying out, but on the later MK2's there was a CV joint problem which seems to be quite common. Mine started knocking on full lock when the car was about 3 and a half years old and there was no signs of a split boot or broken clips. In the end I changed both drive shafts, in 2004, for recon ones and its been fine since.

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about the grease in the boots of the old driveshafts?
or you haven't checked them.

·
MEG Corporal
2,800 Posts
Actually, I remember now. They were seaping grease, but not a lot. I got a kit from halfords and squirted some back in but the knocing noise was still there. Then I changed the driveshafts. I'm afraid I didn't look inside the boots of the old shafts.

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't get any knocking on full locks. i've got something like scraping coming from the diff and when i turn the hub feels a bit notcy but i have to take the driveshaft out to say if its the new bearing or the middle bearing supporting the long o/s driveshaft or something with the cv joints.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.