Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I thought I would share my long (and costly) process of elimination to finding a solution to the problem with my Ford Galaxy mk3 2.0 TDCi on an 07 plate with 99k miles on the clock.

Initially I had a DTC of P010F which related to air flow correlation problems. The DTC was triggered after hard acceleration in 3rd or 4th gear or when trying to overtake at say 50 or 70 MPH. At this time I was using a basic hand held scanner which picked up basic information. DTC P2263 was later found with some more sophisticated scanning equipment.... although this did not cause a problem with the car...... more on this later.

After looking on various forums for advice/ information I decided to replace the MAF sensor....

Problem continued.......

Next was the EGR valve.... I had had a suspicion that the EGR was faulty due to low MPG of 30 or so 'round town' and 40 'on a run'..... although later I was to find that this wasn't unusual......

Got a new EGR valve fitted (did try to remove myself to have a look inside etc... but the 3rd screw was impossible to get to from above). Plus the new EGR needed to be mapped to the ECU...

New EGR did not solve the problem..... although my MPG did go up by 10 MPG or so.....checked various hoses..... no problems I could see.

Then I decided that it must be turbo related...... sticking vanes etc...

Tried the additive in the tank.... no change.

Next was to get the turbo overhauled..... cleaned vanes, new seals etc... no change. No problem with the turbo.....

Next was to replace the vacuum solenoid for the turbo just in case it was maloperating..... no change....

Replaced with MAP sensor.... although this need appear to recording correctly..... no change

The final step was to map my vehicle against an identical vehicle and see what 'numbers' looked odd or out of place...

This number crunching finally highlighted the problem....

IAT 2 or Inlet Air Temperature Sensor 2 was reading 200 degrees C. Checked for 5V, ok. Measured resistance.... was down to 100 Ohms or so.... should be in the k Ohms range.... New IAT sensor on the inlet manifold solved the P010F DTC although my P2263 still appears when the engine is revved.... The P2263 code is logged although it does not appear to do anything.... strange thing was.... the car I mapped against also had the P2263 code in the DTC log when I checked out the history...... although not when the engine is revved.

If anyone knows why P2263 appears..... but does not trip the engine management/ malfunction warning light it could save me more hours finding the P2263 problem........

Many thanks

· Registered
71 Posts
Hi there I'm just after some more info on your issue was the P010F code on all the time, its just twice in the last month I've had the engine malfunction light come on, 2nd time I read the codes whilst the engine was still running and I got P010F, but its not happening all the time, it happened on Friday, I've tried to emulate the situation that brought the code on and I can't get the code to reappear. So I just wanted to check if you issue was intermitant of if it was on all the time, think it may be either an air leak (can't see any) of may be the start of either the IAT of the MAF going, although if it was the MAF thought it would cause the issue all the time, not just 2 in the last 5 weeks

· Registered
7 Posts
The P010F fault came on under specific conditions. Heavy load or acceleration. It was intermittent..... then I worked out how to get the fault to come on...... bottom line is that the ECU is not calculating the correct air volume when taking into account air density and volocity..... it could be sensor or duct related.

Check the IAT sensor impedance. Should read in the k Ohms at ambient. There is a plot if you do a Google search for IAT impedances.... inversely proportional etc... clean or replace your MAF. All these sensors are about £20 and take minutes to do. Check out your MAP sensor. 100kPa at idle...... you will get 250kPa max under boost conditions......

If the sensors check out then I would think you have an air duct problem.

Just make sure you're only getting a single code.... my 1st scanner only picked up the P010F code.... There was another code that wasn't picked up..... until I purchased a more sophisticated scanner.

Posted Via The Free TalkFord.com App

· Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the info, so far since I tightened up the hose clamp on the air intake pipe and cleaned the MAF sensor connect, I haven't been able to get the fault to come back on, both times its happened was under hard acceleration in 3rd and 4th gear, done it numerous times since the weekend but cant get the fault to come on.

I a bit of a novice when it comes to checking sensor (i'm alright with mechanical work not the best with electrics) how would I check the sensors??.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'll need to plug in a diagnostics scanner and check the numbers are right. That way you'll know whether you have a duff sensor. .... sounds like you've found the problem..... leave it at that. If you have a problem brewing it will find you. .....

M

Sent from my GT-I9195 using TalkFord.com mobile app

· Registered
3 Posts
Right here goes firstly let me say im not a mechanic but i do have quite a good brain for solving problems. i also dont like spending loads of money if i dont have to,

Right lets start i was having the engine malfuction warning come on every now and then, normally going from 3rd to 4th gear. As the oil change light had come on i decided to do an oil change and see if this helped. Anyway i did this but noticed quite abit of oil near the oil filter like it had been sprayed with a fine mist .i just cleaned it up and put it down to all engines get a little oil. anyway did the oil and filter change no problem, I then did the air filter and popped it all back together. all good so far, So that done i decided to take the car for a run. But as soon as i went from 3rd to 4th the malfuction came back and it went to limp mode . then the yellow engine warning light came on . i drove it back home and fortunatly i had purchased a bluetooth cpu conector a couple of years before . i popped it in and it was coming back saying there was a problem with the maf sensor . i decided to see if i could clean it and purchased a sdp egr cleaner on the advice of the shop assitant . i went home took the maf sensor out carfully and sprayed it popped it back in and the car was fine for around 2 days .then it came back so i just checked the large jubilee clip that went round the hose from the air box and to my surprice it was loose . i tightened it and the engine malfunction hasnt come on since and its not showing on the bluetooth conector that was 4 weeks ago so all i spent was 6 quid on the cleaner i already had the screwdriver for the clip . Anyway the car was still not running how i liked but had noticed on a forum somewhere about a whooshing noise and split hose again i looked at hose above the oil filter that leads to the intercooler and there was a fine split on the top luckily i could adjust the jubilee clip behind the split so as to correct this but while it was of i decided to use the egr cleaner while the pipe was off i then put the hose back on started the car and it was great id say the power stearing even seamed lighter and power was up massivly on what it had been for a good while. i then went back and tightend the hose clip at the bottom which again was surprisingly loose near the intercooler this increased again seemed to increase the power . all these things ment the engine went from running like aback of spanners to smooth and powerful and back to being economical i went from being lucky to get 480/500 miles on a full tank to 620 the first full tank after doing all of this, so in short check your hoses check your clips possibly run a egr cleaner through and fingers crossed , cost me six quid and a couple of hours . the cpu is faultless although i think it does store th e faults maybe u you need to get them removed at ford but seeing as there not doing anything then no problrms i used FORscan demo and torque lite to conect to the bluetooth cpu conector , hope this helps someone and again im not a mechanic i just went through a few things and got lucky .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.