Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've found the list of 'p' error codes, such as P1000, but my car (mk7 Fiesta) is giving me other codes after I had a yellow engine light come on while driving. I'm assuming when the light comes on you should be able to get codes by going into the hidden menu, or are they only available with a diagnostic tool? I can't find out what these are anywhere though:

Er0705

E 01

r8C

dtSt71

dt0953

none

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
Those are dashboard codes and should be ignored and use an OBD reader instead

which will give more useful P codes and a description and live data.

The dash will only show a very small number of codes, but ive seen cars with no problems

and the dash gave codes and no codes for a faulty car.

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
Any cheapo OBD reader will work on older cars. With newer stuff that uses canbus

a modified ELM (with a switch) maybe a better option. But with so many clones of

clones they are rather hit and miss on what they work with.

I bought one advertised as working with Forscan and ELMConfig, Forscan was OK

for just reading basic data but ELMConfig would not work at all (USB cable).

Bought 2 from Tunnelrat who gets goods reviews and they work OK but even the ones

they sell vary, the 2 i have are different USB chipsets.

Bought a cheap Bluetooth (modified/switched) one off ebay and i have to delete it from

my phone/tablet bonded/linked list each time and reconnect it otherwise it fails to connect.

My old bluetooth one i have used for many years and cost under £5 works a treat but it

cannot connect to the canbus stuff. Still reads codes though.

Ordered a modified WIFI one now, will see how that goes.

Waffled on a bit there :) Depends if you want a USB one for a tablet/laptop or a bluetooth one to use with a phone etc. Cheapest bluetooth and the free torque or forscan app will be fine for a MK3.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Many thanks,

I have an Elm one that I have used on a Peugeot but that will not work on the Mondeo. Would I be correct in saying that there are different Protocol types and that Fords use SAE J1850 PWM ?

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
The ELM interface should work with many protocols, mine was a generic cheapy one and it

worked on the Ford and Kia, limited to what they will read though.

Standard codes should be OK, but when the proper software tells you exactly which ABD sensor

has failed the generic stuff will just say ABS sensor fault.

Same as the cheapy 2 button jobs will read codes on a lot of the cars, but they are limited to what

codes they can read. Personalyl i think the USB/Bluetooth ones are better. If you get a handheld

one get one with live data.

I have the MS509 handheld unit, it read an intermittent crank sensor fault on a Kia, but would not

show the codes for the ABS warning light.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are dashboard codes and should be ignored and use an OBD reader instead

which will give more useful P codes and a description and live data.

The dash will only show a very small number of codes, but ive seen cars with no problems

and the dash gave codes and no codes for a faulty car.
Cool, thanks. Can you point me in the direction of info I need to get the right reader? How universal are they? Dependant on brand, year, model? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
Any OBD reader should work, but if you search for Ford and Forscan you should get a good one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any OBD reader should work, but if you search for Ford and Forscan you should get a good one.
These will both work then?...

Simple cable to attach to laptop: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diagnostic-Scanner-USB-Modified-ELM327-For-Ford-MS-CAN-HS-CAN-Mazda-Forscan-OBD2/392218209906?hash=item5b5206ee72:g:iysAAOSwn4ZcQXRb

But this one cuts out software problems as you don't also need to attach a laptop or phone: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FAULT-CODE-READER-ENGINE-SCANNER-DIAGNOSTIC-RESET-TOOL-OBD-2-CAN-BUS-EOBD/383016858892?hash=item592d95750c:g:gU8AAOSwQsZdDI3U

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
2 button jobs are rubbish, sometimes they will only show 1 or 2 codes even if there are

more and wont show any live data which is very useful sometimes.

USB one I doubt that ones a genuine modified one, they usually have a switch on them

which you dont really need for older cars, there are auto switch ones but they tend to

cost more.

If its a later modified one you need then pay a bit extra for a tunnelrat one. Seem rather hit

and miss with the cheap ones on ebay.

·
Super Moderator
29,803 Posts
If your car uses canbus then get a modified one with a switch.

Yep either of those will work, if your changing the cars features then they recommend

the USB one because its the fastest and most stable connection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If your car uses canbus then get a modified one with a switch.

Yep either of those will work, if your changing the cars features then they recommend

the USB one because its the fastest and most stable connection.
Looks like the switched one will work even if my car doesn't use Canbus, no? How do I find out if my car does? Thanks for all your help by the way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can anybody tell me if my '13 Fiesta uses canbus? I thought any car that gave out error codes used this system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts