Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Soldier of Fortune
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Milton Keynes is pretty much all dual carriageway and I reckon speed limits on dc's are 70mph unless otherwise shown. We rang the police station in MK to confirm speed limits on dual carriage ways and they confirmed that dual carriageways are 70mph, BUT in MK they are 60mph!

How does this work? The only signs on these dual carriageways are national speed limit signs, so to me 70mph. So say I was to get pulled doing 70, would I have an argument?

Someone once told me it was down to whether there's a metal barrier inbetween the carriageways as to whether it's 60/70. Is this true?

·
MEG Admiral
2,642 Posts
i thought that if it had the national speed limit sign then its 70mph unless clearly signed, ie if it has a 60 limit instead of the national speed limit sign

we have a duel carrigeway here in peterborough some of you prob know it, bourges boulevard,but thats signed as 50 on one stretch and 40 the rest of them, well i got tugged for speeding last year by a camera van { i was on my bike doing 50 in a 50 } so i said to the nice policeman he needs to look at the road signs before he issues me with a fixed penalty, huffing and puffing and telling me not to argue with him, but i did and he walked back about 200 yds to the sign, when he came back he was not happy, and just moaned about it telling me he thought i was going too fast for the stretch of road, blah blah blah, so if the sign indicates 70 then theres nothing they can do

·
Im Back !!!!
3,483 Posts
Only if there is a central crash barrier is it a 70mph.

Without it is 60mph unless otherwise stated.

·
Im Back !!!!
3,483 Posts
Tell that to the officer who pulled me over for overtaking him doing 70 in what he classed as 60 cos no crash barrier.

Seems like they change the law depending on what the weather is that day !!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
uzi9cm said:
Tell that to the officer who pulled me over for overtaking him doing 70 in what he classed as 60 cos no crash barrier.

Seems like they change the law depending on what the weather is that day !!!
If they pull you and charge you ( very unlikley ) go to court and quote the website, it is a government site where the information is supposed to be correct, so you are allowed to rely upon it. That being the case no court could ever convict you.

·
Megger
172 Posts
The speed limit is 60mph if there is no separation between the carriageways i.e. Crash barrier or a grass verge etc. Only other rule is if a sign states the speed limit.

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
Murdan said:
The speed limit is 60mph if there is no separation between the carriageways i.e. Crash barrier or a grass verge etc. Only other rule is if a sign states the speed limit.
I cant think of any that are like that though, that would mean 4 lanes all together. Not saying there is none, but most DCs I have seen have something inbetween

·
being SUPRISED! (maybe)
4,346 Posts
I like there highway code rules for correcting a skid. No mention of 4wd with AYC, and what to do if youve got that :shifty:

Although not technically a dual carriageway, the A38(M) into birmingham has no crash barriers in the middle, no grass, no nothing, just loads of lanes and things.

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
I don't know the road number but there's a road (somewhere) between Glasgow and Ayr. 4 lanes, no barrier...people are always killing each other on it.

·
being SUPRISED! (maybe)
4,346 Posts
has it got a pipe running over it containing vinegar for the brown sauce factory? the A38(M) has, or did?

I love brown sauce. Another fact about brown sauce, you cant buy it in holland. You have to take your own, but the dutch love it :L

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
lol I dunno about the pipe but yeah brown sauce is the nuts!!! I've got a dutch friend so I'll have to ask her about that ;)

·
Soldier of Fortune
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I may have to make another call. There are no barriers on the roads in MK but they are seperated by wide verges. Most have turns offs to the left of the carriageway and through the middle of the verges. That may have something to do with it, but the only signs up are national speed limit signs....

·
Resident LED Guru
2,912 Posts
derv said:
I don't know the road number but there's a road (somewhere) between Glasgow and Ayr. 4 lanes, no barrier...people are always killing each other on it.
Its the A77, but theres now the M77 so most people dont use it. Plus it would mean having to find out where to get off teh M77 to find teh A77

·
One time Mondeo owner - now an outlaw!
6,199 Posts
I know this is straying off topic a little (although no more than brown sauce!) there was an item on the news about how a huge percentage of drivers 'Don't know the braking distances at certain speeds'. The ones in the highway code, which as far as I know haven't been updated in years, are so out of date that modern vehicles will stop well short of the distances given.

·
Little Megger
26 Posts
Bill-Lord has it right as far as I'm aware.
This quote is from the website itself (http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_rdsafety/documents/page/dft_rdsafety_610336.pdf)
Dual Carriageways
There is sometimes some confusion
as to what a dual carriageway is,
especially for those vehicles restricted
to speed limits below that for cars,
such as HGVs and Coaches. In short, a
dual carriageway is a road that is
separated by a central reservation.A
central reservation is anything other
than a pedestrian refuge that
separates vehicles going in one
direction from vehicles going in the
other direction. It should be noted
that although it is more usual to have
two or more lanes in each direction,
the number of lanes is not specified,
i.e. it is the presence of a central
reservation rather than the number of
lanes that determines whether or not
a road is a dual carriageway.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.