Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, not sure if someone here has any tips for splitting a gearbox from the engine on a 55 plate for KA which is a wreck owned by my daughter. I'm at a point where pure frustration has me at the brink of contacting my local breakers to scrap.

This all started when the vehicle was having clutch issues, and seeing as i have replaced a couple of clutches before on a saab, vw and mercedes though this would be a doddle.

However, after stripping everything off the transmission and engine as described in the haynes manual i cant get the bloody gearbox to come away from the engine, tried the usual pry bar, mallet and wooden drift but no movement whatsoever.

I have a trolley jack supporting the sump and a second trolley jack supporting the gearbox, and all i seem to get is everything moving together and seems like its never going to budge...

Checked the bell housing several times to ensure that i've not missed anything, and even removed the battery tray and rear transmission mount completely and no movement whatsoever....

Any help before off to the scrappy would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dick.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Have a good look around for any bolts you have missed.

They usually start to seperate as soon as the last bolt is lossened.

If you can see a small gap appearing on one side but not the other that tends to guide you to the approx location of the bolt you have missed.

Have you taken the starter out, sometimess the bolts for that go though engine and gearbox.

When I did my wifes Mondeo I missed one bolt, it was really welll hidden!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, they never make this easy, i suppose its to make it difficult for the DIYer.

Have taken out the starter motor bolts, and will track round again to see if i've missed something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.