Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Resident Wrestling Legend
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, first post here (directed fron passionford) so here goes

i've got an 02 mondeo ghia x and i'm in the proccess of getting one of these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190013317918&rd=1&rd=1
the question is, with all the questions as to wether it will fit or not, wil i need to go to ford to get it all working again and will the wires i've got in the back hook up to this directly?
and, if the answer is no to any of these questions, will it be a simple fix?
has anyone done this before?

·
Back in England.......
18,700 Posts
Is there any particular reason you want one of these over a standard aftermarket head unit?

For the money they cost, you could get a extremely good aftermarket and have none of the potential issues. You would have to get the din adaptor that isn't the most dicrete thing in the world but then you have a lot more choice for head units.

·
Little Megger
37 Posts
Would this fit a facelift mondeo (mk3) ?

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
After 2003.5 model, yes

·
Super Moderator
5,343 Posts
The radio in question is for the facelift models. You would have to changeover the center console unit if you were replacing the standard ford unit if you car was an facelift model. The unit would have to be setup by the Ford Dealer that it's self about £70ish.

If you were thing of putting it in the early Mk3 it won't fit. It's not worth the trubble that you go through with trying to make it fit.

You would be best looking at a aftermarket unit if you were thing of spending that kind on money.

·
Little Megger
37 Posts
Getting it into ford is no problem for me, used to work there so i can easily get the car in a saturday and do it!

Seems like ill have to get me one of these Sony units! :L :thankyousign:

·
Little Megger
37 Posts
Oh another quick question, how much is one of these centre consol things for it to fit?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all, all Ford's that come with a Sony system in them have Sony upgraded speakers in them as well, that have seperate tweeters in front of the speakers. Also these radios come from a production plant loaded with all the various equalizations for all the cars that this radio will fit.

The dealer is ripping you off at that price (but thats another matter). If the unit really is new it should be in unconfigured mode and when you plug it in to your car it will talk to the CAN bus and select the correct EQ for your vehicle. If it not then it will have been in a car before and will be programmed for that car and for security reasons will not work in an other car (although this feature doesn't always work, you may be lucky) This is why you may need to talk to a dealer.

Trev.

·
Super Moderator
5,343 Posts
tdci130trev said:
Hi all, all Ford's that come with a Sony system in them have Sony upgraded speakers in them as well, that have seperate tweeters in front of the speakers. Also these radios come from a production plant loaded with all the various equalizations for all the cars that this radio will fit.
Not really true. The radio needs to be setup via the Ford's WDS system for the car & trim that is fitted. Yes they do have slightly better speakers but still not too good.

tdci130trev said:
The dealer is ripping you off at that price (but thats another matter). If the unit really is new it should be in unconfigured mode and when you plug it in to your car it will talk to the CAN bus and select the correct EQ for your vehicle.
Yet again not quite true yes the unit will be unconfigured & it might even show you a clock, but it does not set's it's self up, it has to be done via the WDS system.

tdci130trev said:
If it not then it will have been in a car before and will be programmed for that car and for security reasons will not work in an other car (although this feature doesn't always work, you may be lucky) This is why you may need to talk to a dealer.
If it has been installed in other car, as long you have the code it will work. You might have problems, if the EQ has been setup for leather trim & you have cloth trim. The only time that you might have any security problems if you have the touchscreen sat nav device & that needs a lot of info to be entered on the WDS system. (PT me & I will tell what they need.)

I have done quite a few installs for people on meg & I am aware of most of the problems that can come up.
The cost of £70ish to setup the unit is about right, as you are using about 1 hrs of time on the WDS to do any Setup's & updates to the radio.

If you are asking what is WDS, It's what Ford use to read, update & save info from the ECU & other modules in the car & fault find with it as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.