Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Little Megger always willing to help.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've search but can't find any real answers about these ecoblue engines from Ford. I've read about the recall and engine failures in the transit, rangers etc does this also effect the 2.0 ecoblue in the Focus ST Ecoblue or Mondeo Ecoblue both 150 or 190 engines. Are they any good. if I buy a replacement car I'm looking for reliability of 10 years or so, with good mpg. I've read about the horror store from the 1.0ecoboost, really disappointing with that. Leaving either the diesels or 1.5ecoboost three cylinder. Usually only cover 3k a year now, Im looking for reliability and great mpg with a good bit of poke this time. Thanks.

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,458 Posts
I can't help regarding ecoblue as I don't do diesels.
However, just to clarify, there is nothing wrong whatsoever with the 1 litre ecoboost unit, the problem was a sudden catastrophic failue of a water hose which caused the engine to fail.
Once the hose problem was sorted all was, and is, fine.
There have been problems with the 1.5 ecoboost but later units are fine.
If you are only doing 3k a year a diesel should be the last thing you should consider

·
Super Moderator
29,787 Posts
Still not convinced about the smaller engines. How many 100k+ mile 1L engines compared to the larger engines?

Spotted a 2013 2L Focus diesel with 170k miles where the 1L were 100k or less.

If your only doing 3k a year then even the most unreliable engine should do that, just ensure

that any recall work is done whilst its under warranty.

Great mpg, well shorter journeys usually best with a smaller engine. Sitting in heavy traffic

a 1L engine will use less fuel than a 2L engine. If each journey is a motorway run then a

larger engine may work out more efficient.

Why does my current enviromentally friendly (£30 tax) 2L diesel get 8 miles less per gallon

than my old (£240 tax) 2.2L Diesel?

Nothing to really avoid if only doing 30k miles over 10 years.

·
Little Megger always willing to help.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't trust these 1.0ecoboost either, Ford "fixing" things is suspected. Like they fixed the power steering or AC in the previous generation of mondeos....yeah right Ford. TrevorB what's the problems with the 1.5 economists, the four cylinder variant known about coolant issues and blown engines on that. The three cylinder not found any issues as of yet...

From what I've read most engines ford are producing right now other then the 1.5 three cylinder are poor

·
8 gears or more please
5,458 Posts
Gaskell, I can't really see where you are coming from - I deal in facts, always have done due to my engineering background.

Ford "fixing" things is suspected, what do you mean by that sweeping statement.

I am telling you about the 1 litre ecoboost (nothing else) that you condemn in your first post - there was, and is NOTHING wrong with the 1 litre ecoboost engine - it was a major water hose problem that caused engine failure, and this has since been modified ages and ages ago.

You are now asking me my knowledge of the 1.5 variants - yet I thought from your original post you had "researched" all the true facts

I am not aware of any problems with the uk spec 3 cylinder 1,5 ecoboost but I have not researched it much.

You say most Ford current engines, except the 3 cyl 1.5 ecoboost are poor, well that's wrong because, for example, there is nothing wrong with the 1 litre ecoboost unit. There are thousands of people who have misread the fake news and misunderstood the info about the 1 litre unit.

I don't research other Ford units that I have no interest in.

Personally I don't think there is much to choose between any of the main brands these days, even the so called premium ones. Some people lean to Ford, others to Vauxhall, Peugeot etc etc. Whatever floats you boat

·
8 gears or more please
5,458 Posts
Just had a thought, if you want some true and factual info phone Blue Oval Services and speak to Adam the owner.

He is extremely knowledgeable and helpful and will tell you how it is. Probably the only guy I would trust with my Ford even though he was over an hour away when I had my Mondeo's

When he has time he posts on the forum under the name of Squirt

https://cheltenhammotandservice.co.uk/

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Mmmmmmm think I'll throw a spanner in here. But before I do. Gaskell what ever TreborB Trevor state about engines and gearboxes is 100% kosher.
Right spanner time. Get a Lexus is250. A most reliable superb car. Oh I've got one. 2.5l V6 not a race car but tuned for luxurious driving and economy. 38mpg at 70mph which is at 2k rpm.
Just thought I'd poke my nose in.
Hi Trevor and Purple. Hope you are fit and well.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Yeah I imagine it being quite quick and good pulling power. I remember having a go in a 150 horse diesel focus and was rather impressed by it. So having 190 should be rather good and not too far from the petrol ST. Oh I test drove a ST ecoboost and was well impressed. Was too much money at the time and they offered me peanuts for a titanium x 1.6 diesel focus which I ended up getting 4k more against a lexus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts