Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mondeo Lover
847 Posts
both

blank it off at the back or front then stick a ballbearing into the vacuum hose.

i suppose only using the ballbearing would be enough so that the valve didnt open due to no vacuum pressure but it also means the egr pipework is still being filled with the hot gases and will probably end up blowing through the pipe.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
both

blank it off at the back or front then stick a ballbearing into the vacuum hose.

i suppose only using the ballbearing would be enough so that the valve didnt open due to no vacuum pressure but it also means the egr pipework is still being filled with the hot gases and will probably end up blowing through the pipe.
thanks Davie, makes sense

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Blanks are frequently suggested for fault finding. The fault they are most likely to help find is a sticking open egr...hence blank is preferable for that purpose. If your car is fine but you want to experiment with disabling the egr, or you suspect the egr is leaking so much vacuum throughba faulty diaphram it will upset the turbo control, stick a ball bearing or other plug in the hose...

Reactions: riptag100

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
The bearing wont stop a leaking EGR from still causing issues.

A blanking plate eliminates the EGR completely whether its the EGR itself or

the vacuum side or the controller.

Cheap at approx £3 if you cannot make your own. Dont use pop cans or tin cans

though you want something thicker. Ideally 2mm.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My EGR is working, but has started to get caked in the dreaded sticky stuff, its not too bad at moment, about 1 mm thick.

Would blanking it off stop it from eventually caking up completely and failing? or should I wait for that to happen before blanking it?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of disabling a working EGR

Also would it prevent the inlet manifold from caking up?

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
Yep blanking it off will prevent the dirty exhaust gas from entering so it stays

clean for much longer.

Just the fumes from the crank case that gets fed in to block it. But mush less soot to

mix in with that oily mist.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Strip the the EGR and inlet manifold off and give them a good clean out with carb cleaner. Then blank it and you won't have to touch it again while you own it, unless you're anal about a good clean EGR valve lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
will give it a clean then blank it off, will this give me a EML, i dont mind, as can cancel it for MOT or resale

·
Registered
174 Posts
If yours is the Euro4 engine then yes it will but if it's the Euro3 then no it won't.

Euro4 has an electronic sensor on the EGR valve and also an obvious electronic actuator on the turbo at the rear centre of the engine. The vac operated actuator is small and round at the rear centre of the engine on the Euro3 ????

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts

It will usually put the EML on but thats not a problem itself. Causes no other issues.

Some people seem to get the light very quickly and others will not get the light for
a long time after fitting.

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
I'm psychic :) or is that psycho? probably both :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts