Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have another thread on here trying to figure out a dreaded DPF issue, but i've noticed in forscan my EGR position reading never moves , always says 0%?

no fault codes at all though for EGR or DPF even with 0%egr and 140%dpf_soot and climbing

can my EGR be stuck (causing my DPF not to regen) even with no fault code to go off of ?

cheers guys

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pulled the hoses out today and the heat sleeves , they look brand new and hold pressure,

The sensor it self works fine aswell,

The only thing I think it can be now is the egr not moving,

This engine is the later Peugeot engine with the egr at the front,
Can this be removed without the cooler to clean, without draining the coolant?

Besides that, does anyone have anything else I should be checking before removing to the egr?

So far , cleaned dpf , tested all temp sensors, replaced blocked vaporiser, checked hoses , looked for any turbo/vacuum leaks , cleaned turbo vacuum solenoid filter sponge , tried egr cleaner (intake spray type) , tried static regen (finishes but doesn't lower values even after a relearn) ,

Whatever I've tried so far hasn't resulted in regen happening on even the longest of drives , also no fault codes ever but definitely not as perky as this motor should be and low mpg (around 36mpg from a 2 litre tdci)

Driving me nuts 😂

·
Super Moderator
31,704 Posts
Have you checked the soot load levels? Do the figures ever change? (should be 2 or 3 soot load readings)

I had several diesel Mondeo's and the MK4 2L uses more fuel than the MK3's did even though it's supposed to
be greener with just £30 road tax. MPG wise its noticeably worse than the MK3's even the 2.2L MK3 got better
MPG figures than the current 2L.

I just close my eyes when filling the tank these days.

·
Registered
109 Posts
OP I think the MK4.5 Mondeo they changed from a vacuum operated EGR to electronically controlled EGR, so there should be more chance for it to show a fault code if something is wrong. Don't quote me on that though.

0% would indicate a stuck closed EGR which would be causing a list of problems on its own. Granted that would include failed DPF regens

May seem like a silly question, but have you made sure there's more than 1/4 tank of diesel? DPF won't regen if fuel level is too low.

I'd double check the fuel pump for the Fuel vaporiser. You'd have to get someone with a scan tool to command the vaporiser fuel pump to prime and listen if it makes any sounds. If it doesn't, it's dead which could be the cause of your issue as it won't allow the vaporiser to spray.

·
Registered
109 Posts
OP I think the MK4.5 Mondeo they changed from a vacuum operated EGR to electronically controlled EGR, so there should be more chance for it to show a fault code if something is wrong. Don't quote me on that though.

0% would indicate a stuck closed EGR which would be causing a list of problems on its own.

May seem like a silly question, but have you made sure there's more than 1/4 tank of diesel? DPF won't regen if fuel level is too low.

I'd double check the fuel pump for the Fuel vaporiser. You'd have to get someone with a scan tool to command the vaporiser fuel pump to prime and listen if it makes any sounds. If it doesn't, it's dead which could be the cause of your issue as it won't allow the vaporiser to spray.

·
Registered
349 Posts
0 % EGR doesnt stop or fail regens where did you get that idea ? , in fact EGR is closed during regen , if the ambient temperature is below 6 degrees Celcius the EGR is always closed (the EGR temp map is set up this way) , have you checked all 3 fuses (F2 , F6 and F9 ) that have to do with the regen process ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I've checked all the regen fuses and vaporisor relay ,

Pump working fine,
In forscan the vaporiser glow plug indicator always says "off" , so it's never even attempting a regen if I'm correct ?

Dpf_load fluctuates during driving anywhere between 75% and 175%

Dpf_soot resets to 0 when I relearn it but then steadily climes back up to 170 + after a trip,

The whole time egr 0% with occasional flutter in % for 1 second or less but very rarely, like it's trying then failing to move?

Getting worried it's gonna peak out the soot level and throw me in limp Mode, driving to Cornwall in a week :/

·
Registered
349 Posts
The DPF load is very high if over 100 , mine reads between 23-49 % during normal/hard driving (have never seen it above 90 %) , check the hoses and the DPf diff pressure sensor because something in not right here.

·
Registered
349 Posts
have you had the car for some time and regens were working but have suddenly stopped ? if you just bought the car I would suggest someone has coded out the dpf regen. If you are not sure have Ford do a PCM upgrade and see if it will start working normally again. Can you do a forced regen ?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Maybe it's a faulty MAF sensor OR someone has tampered with it?
I have tampered with mine to always show 4 degrees air temp. This deliberately switches the EGR off permanently and significantly reduces fuel consumption.
BUT you will still see an occasional flutter when the turbo boost back pressure makes the EGR open slightly, mine does it.
As for the large DPF values... maybe the DPF is actually blocked?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Also... You said it finishes a static regen but did it actually do it? What were the temperatures during the regen?
If you can't see the temps in ForScan you should still be able to feel the heat from under the car.
Maybe the DPF has been removed and the regen has been mapped out like Getsome says

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replys

I don't think it's been tampered with as surely it wouldn't have a reduced power feel ?

When I cleaned the dpf the soot level stated at 50 - 60 for a while and differential pressure sat at 1 at idle and 13 max under load then after a couple days started climbing again and pressure now at 2 at idle and sometimes 30 under load , so something has to be causing the dpf to block again quickly

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thing is... If the EGR is permanently closed then you shouldn't be getting anywhere near as much soot...

EDIT: I wonder if the ECU switches the EGR off it thinks the DPF is clogged up?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here is an interesting quote from another thread, it says that the EGR is switched off and Torque is limited once the DPF load goes over 75%
"75% DPF Load DPF, SYS and MI lamp
Torque limitation, EGR deactivation, "

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok , so a little update , I removed the dpf the other day and soaked it in wynns off car cleaner , loads of black came out and rinsed until clear ,
After reinstalling I relearned the values and went for a long drive , all seemed ok,
.now after a few days driving , 200 ish miles still no regen with load at 77 and soot at 74 , do I need to wait for soot to hit 80 as I've heard in other threads ?

Pic
Font Multimedia Display device Circle Number
attached of live feed , at around 30 mph

1 - 18 of 18 Posts