Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Mk3 Mondeo ST Tdci which has covered 80k and i've just had the Eibach Pro Kit (1132335) fitted front and rear.

When the car is jacked up the rear springs feel slightly loose and can be rotated around quite easilly.

When driven there is alot of metallic clinking coming from both sides of the rear suspension, and its pretty unbearable even just on flat roads around my housing estate.

Anyone any ideas what the issue could be ?

Mechanic is recommending i put new shockers on the rear ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
Fitted incorrectly or the shocks are bottomed out, that seems unlikely if its just a 30mm

drop. You should be able to get away with that on standard shocks.

Where did you get them from?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The springs were purchased from Hendy Ford, (I've checked both Ford and Eibach part numbers both of which are correct).

Almost certain they've been fitted correctly (by a mechanic).

At a bit of a loss on this one really !?

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,194 Posts
Have you replaced the anti roll bar drop links too ?

Also, I can't check whether your part number is correct, but are they definately diesel eibach springs and not st220 eibach springs, as there are two types.

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
Part numbers on the items correct? Not sent you the wrong ones?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Also, I can't check whether your part number is correct, but are they definately diesel eibach springs and not st220 eibach springs, as there are two types.
Part numbers on the box have been confirmed as correct by Hendy Ford (i'll double check the markings on the springs as well just to double check)

Would the rear anti roll bar drop links create such a clunky noise ? They have not been replaced.

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
Yeah the drop links are a common issue, they can rattle quite badly.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Not an estate with selflevelling suspension?

·
13,194 Posts
Part numbers on the box have been confirmed as correct by Hendy Ford (i'll double check the markings on the springs as well just to double check)

Would the rear anti roll bar drop links create such a clunky noise ? They have not been replaced.
Anti roll bar drop links are very clunky and rattly if they are worn. While they are easy to check by simply pulling on them an seeing if there is any play in them that's not what I was driving at. I had wondered if the anti roll bar drop LXs had been changed and normal mk3 ones (instead of ST ones) had been fitted. Non ST drop links are about 2.5cm longer than ST ones so would make it easier for the could springs to be loose.

·
13,194 Posts
As an add on, maybe get a friend to ring handy Ford asking for eibach springs for a 220. Then see if they can get a different part number to your springs.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Hi

Eibach springs Ford Part No. 1132335 are the correct springs for both the ST220 and ST TDCi, proven by many members over at STdriveRS's. They also fit all V6 models.

There are alternative springs for Hatch and Saloon but they work with the much lighter 4cyl petrol engines.

When I bought my ST, Ford offered the Eibach as an accessory yet Eibach and most sellers did not even recommend them for ST models.

Peter

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Anti roll bar drop links are very clunky and rattly if they are worn. While they are easy to check by simply pulling on them an seeing if there is any play in them that's not what I was driving at. I had wondered if the anti roll bar drop LXs had been changed and normal mk3 ones (instead of ST ones) had been fitted. Non ST drop links are about 2.5cm longer than ST ones so would make it easier for the could springs to be loose.
It's not an estate no, i'm fairly sure it's not handbrake cables but will try and get those checked thanks.

Interesting about the drop links thanks for that, anyone know what lenght the ST ones should be so I can check ?

Cheers for all the replys.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
have the front and rear springs been fitted swapped?

this link says front spring serial no. ends VA and the rears HA.
Front springs both end in VA which would suggest they are the correct way around (though i cannot see any numbers on the rear just from jacking it up quickly).

I've measured the rear drop links and they are approximately 250mm, anyone know where i can find the correct dimension for what the ST specific ones should be ? (they seem rock solid anyway).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still going round in circles with this one, gonna have to bite the bullet and take it in to Fraud i think.

Is it usual for the cup locator pins to sit so closely to the spring at the rear ?

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts