Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Can somebody advise on the following problem I have with my 1.8 TD?

Last week, the wife set off on her journey to work, after a few yards the engine died. It then restarted after some long cranking. Over the course of the week the perfomance deteriorated to the point that it wouldn't start unless the primer pump was pressed repeatedly until hard and after that the engine ran like a dog. On pressing the pump I noticed that fuel was seeping out from the button - Ah ha! I thought, air must be getting into the fuel line. After sourcing a new replacement primer and filter and fitting it, the performance returned - Hurrah!! I also noticed that one of the injector braided hoses was weeping slightly so I replaced the whole lot.
Now... When the car is left for a few hours and you come to start it again, it fires up strightaway but it dies after a short time! Once the fuel is going though again (ie after priming) the engine runs perfectly.
To investigate this I decided to run the car again until it stalled. I then uncoupled the fuel pipe from the pump and found no fuel in it. So, it appears that the pump is using the fuel in the pipe before it dies. Why is it not drawing any fuel from the filter after being left for a while? On further investigation of the fuel pipe, half way down is an inline cylindrical 'valve'. Now, I'm presuming that this is a one way valve to stop the fuel being drawn back to the tank, is this correct? But when I blew air in it from both ends the air passed through with no restriction!!!

Any suggestions on how to take this problem further would be appreciated.

Many Thanks & Merry Christmas!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
if you replaced the primer assembly, did you use the old screw in attachments that the fuel pipes connect to? If you did, try unscrewing them half way then put loads of ptfe tape around the thread and screw them back in. Do this on both of them. Obviously you will have to pull off the two pipes first.

·
Megger
70 Posts
Try the same thing i did when mine was having serious issues. fire up the engine, loosen the top bolt on the fuel pump = return line (17 mm bolt) and let it bleed itself of any air.. Could be an airlock in pump (like in my car) and when the car gets hotter the air expands a little and just enough to make it stall.. And if you do this run the engine for atleast 3-5 mins and have a cointainer of some sort to catch the spilled diesel. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.