Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MEG Admiral
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently put back together an 1800 turbo diesel engine, I have finally got it running but it is not quite there. On test drive the car was driveable but flat as anything. Initially I thought it was a turbo problem as it felt like there was no boost behind it but on closer inspection I found that I can hear the turbo spooling up. I have checked all the vacuum connections etc... and cannot see anything wrong. The only other thing is that starting it takes a little while so I would be inclined to believe that the pump timing is out, although the pump, crankshaft and camshaft were all locked to TDC when I put the belts on so I can't see where the problem may lie.
If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful to hear from you.
Cheers

·
S-Edition Wagon, 240Ps 2nd one as 1st one had a br
324 Posts
Hi StormCrow,

With mine I can't hear the turbo spool up. Are you sure you have no leak?

Also, are you sure the pipe from the turbo to the fuel pump is in working order? (a while back I removed it just for fun, and found it is not funny at all :headshake:).

Good luck,

David

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
i had this problem when i got my car the pump timing was out even though the engine seemed to run fine otherwise it just had no turbo boost.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
timing with bolts is just a guide on mk2 TD i read somewhere it says to get a more accurate timing setting you need to put it on a machine

cant remember where but it was probably haynes or that cd we not supposed to talk about.

·
MEG Admiral
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stoep: Its not easy to hear, and I'm talking with my head in the engine next to the turbo! The pipe to the fuel pump - not sure (see below) but I'll make sure it's checked!

Just to clarify, my brother made the post (he's the mechanic, I do electronics!!), I will pass your recommendations on to him! Thanks guys, I knew you'd pull through!

Just to recap then, the timing on the fuel pump is likely to be out by the sounds of it? I knew in the back of my mind that it would be something like that, I had heard about the problems when setting timing on these engines before but of course he's gotta be right, right?! :}

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
if you want to check the turbo boost take off the pipe at the pump end and put your thumb over it but not tight u should feel some pressure not a lot though or a boost guague on there would be ideal.

still as has been said id say its the pump timing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts