Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Little Megger
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya guys, i've not really posted here that often just mainly not got much time, at the moment got a mk1 td, the engine is more or less standard. I was thinkin of sellin it to get sumthing smaller and jap, but sum1 put an idea in my head after he turbo'd his 205 gti with a 2l from the 406. just looking for sum advice on 2l turbo conversion, not really sure where to start. any help and advice. like cost and difficultly.

many thanks

mark

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
to change a diesel to a petrol is a lot of hard work the gear box engine looms fuel lines all got to come out plus there is putting in new looms etc
better off keeping it a diesel

if you want diesel power still why dont you get hold of a 2.2 stdci lump and box wiring looms fuel pump and anything fuel related etc and play with that plently tune able too
with bigger intercooler,airfilter,exhaust,chip
should be good for 200bhp & 300lbft torque with that little lot plus there is head work,also there is hybrid turbo's too
plus the mk1 is lighter than a mrk 3 too
so power to weight ratio would be great too
will need all the drive train to that driveshafts the lot
plus you have the benfits of beeing one of the first to do it,but it will be a lot of hard work
best bet is about it its a diesel so econmey wont suffer to much so you still get your miles out of it but with more power :L

·
Fail faced tartan chodder
13,734 Posts
SPeak to percybigun he did a fair few mods on his old diesel to raise the power

·
Megger
140 Posts
i recon if you wanna go serious you should think about putting a 6.2l gmc v8 desiel (sp) in it i think it would just about fit

but hay thats just me

·
Registered
66 Posts
V8nutter said:
i recon if you wanna go serious you should think about putting a 6.2l gmc v8 desiel (sp) in it i think it would just about fit

but hay thats just me
blimey!

i had one of them there massive...

not a chance of fitting one of them.. not without putting it inside the passenger compartment i would have thought...

·
MEG Colonel
5,987 Posts
Emzils said:
V8nutter said:

but hay thats just me
blimey!

i had one of them there massive...

not a chance of fitting one of them.. not without putting it inside the passenger compartment i would have thought...
you'd be suprised how big the engine bay of a mk1/2 mondeo is, A rover V8 will fit and a small block chevy V8 will fit and i sure a ford modula V8 will fit

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
you can get a fair bit more power out of the 1.8TD with a big intercooler, and increase the fuelling/boost, and a hybrid turbo etc but its still lacking in power higher up the revs cos of the short gear ratios and only 8 valves, plus its a problem with all diesels anyway.

i done a technical guide on modding the 1.8TD here:

http://www.percybigun.co.uk/mondeo2/tuning.htm

as has been said its a real bee-atch to make a diesel into a petrol, would be easier for you to buy a cheap mk1 zetec or V6 and swap your other mods onto it.

·
Little Megger
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what sort of power you talkin about after tuning 1.8?

The Tdci does sound nice, ma dads got 1, and they really nice to drive, just not sure about cost to buy 1, not many flooting about. looked at swapping his for the 2.2 but couldnt get our hands on anything,

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
up to about 130bhp with FMIC and boost/fuelling increased etc with exhaust/induction. this is the level mine was at and it was nice and quick.

up to 150bhp with hybrid turbo on top of them mods, that was to be my next mod but i sold the car. i have spoke to somebody who has done this

or if you got a bigger hybrid turbo and a custom exhaust manifold (expensive!) and get enough fuel in, i spoke to essex turbochargers about this and they said alot more power would be made.

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
percybigun said:
up to about 130bhp with FMIC and boost/fuelling increased etc with exhaust/induction. this is the level mine was at and it was nice and quick.

up to 150bhp with hybrid turbo on top of them mods, that was to be my next mod but i sold the car. i have spoke to somebody who has done this

or if you got a bigger hybrid turbo and a custom exhaust manifold (expensive!) and get enough fuel in, i spoke to essex turbochargers about this and they said alot more power would be made.
Percy please Pt me with the next steps for the TD as ive basically forgotten what you've said but now i have Dieselracers old TD its going to be getting a lot of attention power wise.

jcth1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.