Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm trying to understand how to top up my engine coolant. At the moment the level is around 20mm/30mm below the minimum level. The engine has been off for around 4 or 5 hours when I checked this. So it's cold.

I have read not to mix coolants but how do I know whats in there already? Is it as simple as putting my reg into a well know website and getting some ready mix coolant and just top up with that?

If I don't know what's in there already does it all need to be replaced? Meaning I would have to go to a garage to have this done. The manual does give a spec(wss-m97b44-d) I afraid doesn't mean anything to me.

My car is a 2014 Mondeo Mk4.5, 1.6 Eco Boost, Petrol. UK

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
29,548 Posts
That code should be on the bottle when you buy it, even if you choose cheaper brands it will usually state
meets Ford spec.... etc.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That code should be on the bottle when you buy it, even if you choose cheaper brands it will usually state
meets Ford spec.... etc.
Nice one. I will nip down to my local store and check the bottles for that code before buying. I only noticed the low level today when I went to top up my windscreen washer. Not had any warnings or that.

Thanks again.

·
Big Megger
3,029 Posts
As long as it states
WSS-M97B44-D that's the Ford spec and is a pinky / green colour.
If yours isn't pinky / green then it may be better changing it, because you're not supposed to mix colours.
I've just bought 5ltrs of this for my daughters Fiesta.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
An obvious comment, but if the coolant is low then it's gone somewhere.
Some places to check for signs of leaking (may have a pink stain) include;
  • the expansion tank (have been known to crack)
  • the 'radiator cap' is apparently a commonly replaced item, if the seal fails it can vent at low pressure, boiling away the coolant
  • water pump
  • thermostat housing
  • radiator and heater hoses (can lead to a damp footwell)
  • engine oil filler cap is also worth a glance to make sure there is no moisture or mayonnaise
Park over a large sheet of cardboard to identify any drips

Reactions: AbingDan

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I will keep a look out for leaks as suggested. Hopefully it's just needing a top up. I noticed today when I nipped into town(around 30 min drive) the level was at the minimum mark.

I got some engine coolant now and will top it up in a few hours when the engine has cooled.

Thanks

·
MEG Corporal
2,647 Posts
Also, check the O ring in the expansion tank cap, it was broken on my car. Not sure if it was leaking but the levels in the system haven't dropped since it was replaced.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When the engine was cold I topped up the coolant to around half way between min and max lines. I checked when the engine was hot and it was just below the max line(30 min town drive). I then checked when the engine was cold it went back to half way and remained at that level the next morning.

Hopefully it just needed a top up but will keep an eye on the level over the next couple weeks.

Thanks again everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts