Ford Automobiles Forum banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 · (Edited)
Yeah all coded right, checked it over again today.
Any idea on that buzzing sound? Belts? I dont suppose youve ever heard of anything like that before?
it seemed to have some air in the system but it bled itself out by the end of the video

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 · (Edited)
It still idles really bad and almost dies on rev.
Weird popping sound coming from the engine and so I removed the oil cap and this is what I was met with popped the cap off when it was loosening it!

I'm just about ready to put the old girl to rest at this point now that I've seen just what a state the crankcase pressure is in...

Edit: I want to pull double-check the torque on all the injectors and/or replace the crush washers as I imagine that to be a way gasses can enter the crankcase and also check the crankcase breather.
Is there anything else I can tighten down to, at least, alleviate this?

·
Mondeo Lover
871 Posts
nothing wrong with that tbh, all the mondeo tdci's blow quite a bit when you take the cap off.

the pinging noise your getting is the injectors, the valve opening and closing i think, but its a common noise when an injector(s) is goosed.

·
Super Moderator
31,085 Posts
I thought the same the first time I removed the oil cap with the engine running, seemed like a lot of pressure
but everything was running well so just assumed it was due to the high compression ratio.

You know when you have too much pressure when the dipstick gets chucked out.

·
Little Megger
4,708 Posts
Time to do a leak off test.now that it runs. You must cap the leakoff pipes while you run it tho' or you will get air on the fuel system.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I know its hard to see from the video but did this blowby look like it was more than yours? Perhaps I have a blocked crankcase breather?

I know the previous owner had the injectors out was too incompetent to put the back in the right order so perhaps they aren't tightened properly or they reused the original washers and that is where the gasses are leaking from?

·
Super Moderator
31,085 Posts
If the breather was blocked it would find its way out through other means ie. the dipstick. Its just taking
the path of least resistance.

·
Mondeo Lover
871 Posts
the buzzing is one or more of the injectors causing it, start the car and disconnect each injectors electrical plug in turn and it might show what one is causing it (it also might not)

the engine blowing out when the cap is off is completely normal, dont side track yourself thinking about it, its a fueling problem you have.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
I apreciate the advice and reassurance. This is my first diesel so I didn't know it was this extreme on them.

It barely runs on 4 cylinders so I wonder if it will even run on just 3? I will try using the 'screwdriver as a stethoscope' method first to see if I can pinpoint it and I'll do a leak off test just to be sure but I'll give your idea a go as well. Should I pull the connector when it's running or not?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Now I have the time and money to get back to working on my car (thankfully I don't rely on it for work), I ended up replacing all four injectors (the other three were on their last legs and were giving me all sorts of trouble) and it is significantly better but it still drops in pressure (to the point of nearly cutting out) when I lift off the throttle (see this video).
I haven't heard of this in the videos/ blogs I saw where people changed their injectors, but can I assume this is a part of the 'break in' period? I didn't get around to actually taking it on the road and I don't know if it actually has enough power to go up the hill I'm parked on....

121 - 133 of 133 Posts