Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
The car in question is a mondeo mk3 tddi 2.0 (2001).
When I bough the car it had overhearing problems when standing still.
After some searching I found a burnt out connector to the fan. I replaced it together with the sensor it was connected to. After that the fan ran again and no more overheating. I still noticed the temperature reading inceast very slowly (not like it should be). So I replaced the thermostat what fixed that problem.

The problem I still have is that when the car is warm, the engine wil cut out after exact 20sec. While this is happening I have no acceleration control, none. Also the battery light will stay on...
When the car is cold there is no problem. It starts normally and runs great.

I noticed that when I have this problem I can disconnect the coolant temperature sensor, after that I can start again and it will run fine. Ofc when I do this the fan will run and max speed and I will have no temperature readout.
Natualy I changed the coolant temperature sensor witch had no affect at all.

I had the garage read out the ecu and reset it. Reset did nothing. The readout gave a code for coolant temperature reading, egr and fuel pump.

Anyone have some ideas what to check or do?
It feels like an electrical / computer problem.
I'm my mind the egr or the fuel pump should not cauce this kind problem but I could be wrong ofc.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Super Moderator
31,294 Posts
Not all readers show all the codes for MK3 Diesels. Had a member pop over with a car he had just bought
and read the P132 turbo code, I left the code intact not clearing it but the garage could not read it with their
more expensive equipment.

2 thermostats on a diesel, main thermostat on the top and another smaller oil cooler stat on the rear of
the waterpump.

Worth getting your own reader £20 ish. Check things like crank and cam sensors seen faulty crank sensors
that caused vehicle to cut out and yet left no codes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't know about the second thermostat. But I don't think it will cause my problem. I used the old temperature sensor (there was never anything wrong with it, I checked it) to see if only heating the sensor gave me the same problem...
So I made sure the car was stone cold. Disconnected the installed sensor and connected the old sensor. I made sure it started with the sensor. After cooling down again I put the sensor in a cup of 'boiling' water and tried to start again. It still had the problem... No acceleration control, runs for 20sec poef...
Put the sensor in cold water, start again... As if nothing ever happened...

It must be another sensor or computer problem right....
I think I should buy a reader and see if I get some codes while the car is running.

FORD MONDEO MK3 STATION WAGON (BWY) 2.0 16V DI / TDDI 66kw

·
Super Moderator
31,294 Posts
You may want to try and get an old F-Super not the ELM327 based one but the older MobyDlc. 2001 TDDI's are not
fully compliant with the OBDII standards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts