Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ford Mondeo 2L TDCI MK3 2002 I have had no problems for a while other than a turbo pipe replacement 8months ago. I have recently been using redex to mix with diesel to treat the engine as I have been covering a large mileage recently. After covering around 500 miles in a few days I noticed a small power drop but I didn't take much notice, afterwards on a short journey the car just died whilst changing down gear, the glowplug light flashed at me that indicates a fuel or turbo issue. I got it toed home when I opened the bonnet the engine was covered in oil, I found a small slit In the turbo inlet pipe. I replaced this part and thought as was good drove 200 yards before it died again. Pushed it home and now wondering if it could be a full fuel filter. The car has done 130,000miles but we'll maintained. Any assistance guys on next steps I have done the onboard self diagnostic and nothing was particularly helpful, I have bought a USB to car diagnostic cable to be delivered this week.

Andy

·
Little Megger
4,521 Posts
Hi, I don't think a small slit in the turbo inlet pipe would cause the engine to be covered in oil- I've driven 300 miles with a split one and if anything it performed better! probably due to getting more air in than usual.

Are you sure it's oil and not diesel that covered your engine? I had an issue recently with the leak-off pipe from one injector deciding to fail on me and not only did I have diesel everywhere, but then got an airlock in the fuel supply and ended up being towed home by the RAC. Fixed problem by new leak-off pipes and refilling fuel filter and using one of those handpumps to prime the filter. Nearly broke the starter motor with over cranking it, though...

Also, here's a tip:-if you are having to crank the engine a lot, remove the large yellow 60amp fuse from the fusebox next to the battery-it feeds the glowplugs- that way you wont be flattening the battery so soon and the cranking speed will be higher too.

Reactions: Andymimnagh

·
Old Fords never die they just keep on rolling.
3,051 Posts
Hi Andy.

That is indeed a boost hose. Early TDCI engines had the egr valve at the rear and I think you need to blank it off to test it. If you have been driving around with the house split for any length of time then it's possible the valve is stuck open and drowning the engine with exhaust gas.

You will have a better idea of what the problem is when you get the codes read.

Reactions: Andymimnagh

·
MEG Corporal
5,689 Posts
HI Andy.. over use of redex... can cause pump failure or injector failure .. redex injector treatment is a cleaner agent and will cause chemical cleaning agents to enter the fuel system .... it shuld only ever be used very sparingly and on the recommended amount of fuel in the tank . ie if it said use a said quantity on a full tank of fuel then this is the only way it should be applied .. ALL THAT said .. I recon you must now . take off the filter and open it with a shears so as not to produce filings .... then inspect the paper element .. by spreading it on a white sheet of fools cap paper or printing paper .. look for metal swarf with a magnifying glass . if you find this . then it would mean the injector pump was fubar . check this and report back .. because on finding this it would mean a major rethink on any future of this vehicle .. considering mileage etc.. s

1 - 11 of 11 Posts