Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Saabnessness is mine!
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peeps,

Have posted this topic in the electrical section too as that's what problem first manifest itself as, but it's progressed to the engine now so am reposting here (mods, hope that's Ok)

Basically what's happening is that I drive to work and when car engine has warmed up the speedo needle starts bouncing around like it's possessed.

Then today I noticed that when this starts to happen the engine sort of starts doing mini surges and retards (engine braking). I'm just holding accelerator steady, but engine seems to be doing it's own thing.

On way home tonight speedo actually went dead at one point and surges/braking seemed to get worse.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

·
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Dan, what's a VSS? Coincidently, Ford have just fitted a new gearbox to it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Vehicle Speed Sensor, its attatched to the gearbox. I would imagine that either the sensor itself or the wiring has been damaged when Ford fitted a new gearbox. I would take it back to them and complain.

The engine ECU uses vehicle speed as an input, it should give a fault code.

As an alternative, Ford may have not fitted and engine connection, either electrical or vacuum back correctly. Although the fact that the speedo is playing up would make things lean towards the VSS

·
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dan,

You just know they'll claim wear and tear. Do they need to drop out the sub frame to get to the VSS?

·
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dan,

Does anyone have access to the Ford tech manuals that say how long changing the Vehicle Speed Sensor takes?

The car is going into Ford's tomorrow anyway (3rd time in 3 weeks) so I'll find out then, but I'd like an idea if possible. Having spent 1500 on recon gearbox I don't need any extra costs right now.

·
2,893 Posts
Dan, you are God! :first: :thankyousign:

Let's just hope the sensor (assuming it's that) doesn't cost 4 sqillion quid. :D

Doh! Just seen price quoted on screen of 35 notes. That would be too good to be true.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
ReggieK said:
Dan, you are God! :first: :thankyousign:

Let's just hope the sensor (assuming it's that) doesn't cost 4 sqillion quid. :D

Doh! Just seen price quoted on screen of 35 notes. That would be too good to be true.
The £35 is the labour charge to remove and inspect the sensor. A new sensor is about £67 according to ecat

·
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You were spot on Dan.

Told Ford when I dropped car off that a knowing comrade said it was most likely the VSS. They spent all day with it then rang me at 4.30 saying it was the VSS, and that they'd have to get part over night.

Dunno why I bother sometimes. It's gonna cost around 150notes all in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts