Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I Love Diesel
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, my lovely limited edition 2005 Mk3 Titanium X 2.2 TDCi has failed its MOT in a big way today. Repairs are estimated at £1,000+ but to be honest, I think it's reached the end of the road now. The rust bug has taken hold and there are other issues, so it's actually been an easy decision to make. It's going to the big Ford dealer in the sky, unless some crazy person fancies a project?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hi

There unfortunately comes a time when you have to cut & run. If rust damage is localised may be worth checking with a couple of garages for quotes to repair.

Peter

·
Little Megger
4,453 Posts
You'll be missed, Twincarbs! Any ideas on your next steed? Used car prices are high at the mo, I've heard

Reactions: twincarbs

·
Mosquito
300 Posts
Twincarbs,

I concur with the above posts and wish you luck with your new vehicle.

I suppose I’ve been lucky, so must ask you where the areas of rust are.

Mines a 2006 and having worked quite a lot on the body, basically adding a few ST plastic parts, i have not come across any rust.

This will help me become more aware of areas to check more vigilantly.

I suggest you get another Mondeo, you know you want to !! 😁

Best regards,
Jack.

·
Hiding under a Rock
661 Posts
do you guys have crush for cash scheming going on there? or is parting out generally more profitable?

·
Little Megger
4,453 Posts
I know that the estate version has an issue with the rear cross member (not called a subframe on them) has the spring top retainers rotting which is an mot fail. Not many replacement parts available = scrap, which is a pity 'cos its an awesome car!

Reactions: Macmondy3L

·
Clever Clauggs
4,364 Posts
JackS my rust on a 2002 is front,back wheel arches, rear offside sill and jacking point under plastic sill cover, spare wheel well, bottom of doors, shock absorber/wheel turrets.

·
Clever Clauggs
4,364 Posts
Only had the inner rear offside sill/jacking point welded, no other bodywork/structural replaced or welded so far and I live on the coast, just running it till it fails as only on 67kmiles

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Little Megger
4,453 Posts
"live on the coast"..... I suppose that explains it... but still, 19 years old. In the not so olden days a 10 year old car had basically had it.

Reactions: Macmondy3L

·
Clever Clauggs
4,364 Posts
Might be the half wheel arch spats helping the rot not had a look yet,too busy weeding the 25yr old block paving.

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,111 Posts
Unfortunately, my lovely limited edition 2005 Mk3 Titanium X 2.2 TDCi has failed its MOT in a big way today. Repairs are estimated at £1,000+ but to be honest, I think it's reached the end of the road now. The rust bug has taken hold and there are other issues, so it's actually been an easy decision to make. It's going to the big Ford dealer in the sky, unless some crazy person fancies a project?
Are there any rare extras or parts that are worth saving and going into another mk3?

·
Hiding under a Rock
661 Posts
yes it's worthwhile to pick a few bits and bobs before sending it to boneyard or crusher.(y)

·
I Love Diesel
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll post up some more info on the MOT failure in a while.

The funny thing is that I've been window shopping for my next car for over a year, in preparation for this day. I've been looking at later Mk3 Focus's, Mk4 Mondeos, even Mk5 Mondeos, but now that it's crunch time I can't seem to find anything! One thing has become apparent, lots of dealers offer nationwide home delivery (Click & Deliver etc) in their adverts, but in reality they wont do this unless you visit and test drive the car first. I foolishly thought I could buy my dream car at the other end of the country and have it delivered to my door without leaving the sofa, but apparently not. So a lot of my leads have come to nothing.

Anyway, while looking at an advert for a MK5 Mondeo the other day, I came across a rather nice looking 2006 Mk3 Mondeo 2.2 ST TDCi. It has a relatively low mileage and a freakishly good MOT history. I would probably just buy this car on the strength of the advert and MOT history, but I doubt that will be possible. It's on AutoTrader as well if anyone's interested and wants to put me out of my misery. There are 50+ photos of the car.

Regards.

·
I Love Diesel
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
do you guys have crush for cash scheming going on there? or is parting out generally more profitable?
Last time I looked, the typical trade-in value of my car was £100-£200, I think. That was with a long MOT. I don't know what scrap metal prices are like here at the moment (they always say they're low...), but this will be the best value for money and least hassle option I expect. Last time I scrapped a car was a Daewoo Matiz. It was undrivable, but a guy came from 100+ miles away and took it away. I got a cheque for £16 and the car off my driveway. That was an online thing - local scrap dealers weren't interested!

·
MEG Corporal
2,691 Posts
Reactions: twincarbs

·
Hiding under a Rock
661 Posts
but do you really want to buy a car unseen? unless it's a cheap one and you got nothing to lose? i bought one unseen but that was less than 1000 quid, and it was sort of in between car.
i scrapped a citroen xm when it lost its hydraulics for 150 quid - i offered to a local citroen mechanic for free at first but he wasn't interested (mind you he has 3 running ones).
a guy is selling an insurance write off bx for 500 quid - supposedly a good condition except for rear end shunted but that's crazy money for a bx.
funny you should mention matiz, i've been looking for one for the past few months, only pretty knackered ones come up once a month ish...
anyway, good luck with the hunt!

·
I Love Diesel
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Scrap My Car - Instant Quote and Free Collection

That should give you an idea...I just stuck in a reg from a 2006 Mondeo and it was quoting £265 - £285. Think I got £186 for my 13 year old ST24 back in 2013 with rewardrecycling but they only quoted £46 for the same car I just tried.
I would probably snatch their hand off for that money. Unless I'm remembering wrong, I'm sure the trade-in value was nowhere near this last time I looked. I suppose the scrappies aren't concerned with the mileage, age and condition...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I too live on the coast..so to speak the 'Wirral Penisula'..the river Mersey is litterally a 30 second walk to the bottom of my road...My ghia x has no rust issuse's..the underneath you could eat your dinner off it(even brake lines are solid)...Bloody Wierd..she has got only 58k..though..bought her 12yrs ago from a garage in Fenny Stratford, Milton Keynes,at the time i was replacing my Crashed C70 turbo 2 3...T-Boned some blonde bint in a red bloody Golf..took me a year to find something Pokey...but practical too..the volvo was not practical!!!getting old..
Nothing at the time up north worth buying..
Absolutley No intention of getting another motor...i could not replace her..check her MOT history if you like...

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts