Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy in work has an ex police car mk1. Its a 2.0 Si and pulls like a train. Its got a calibrated speedo.

Firstly it revs at 30mph at 3,000 rpm. Is this ok he has concerns about it.

Secondly since it pulls like a train would the police of upgraded the ECU or something as he's put a new engine in (last one blew up) and it pulls just as hard as before.

I suspect this car was a highway car as other ex police cars and current normal (non traffic) dont have calibrated speedo's (trust me ive been in a few cop cars lol)

jcth1

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I heard a while back that all newer cop car's had a superchip chucked in so i imagine this is why, when u say revs at 3k for 30mph wot do u mean?? wot gear is he in?? if u mean cruising then i guess its a little high :L

Jamie

·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my bad jamie. 3,000 rpm = 30mph in 3rd.

jcth1

·
Megger
70 Posts
Maybe a different gearbox ?? This can do wonders for a car. My brother has an e.x danish cop mondeo MKII estate and he could almost keep up with my V6 before I sold it and his car also have better fuel economy than any other MK2 2.0 L that I have ever had.

·
being SUPRISED! (maybe)
4,346 Posts
could be the gearbox, its got some lower ratios in the Si and it transforms it from 'ordinary' 2.0's. The 2.0 i got now is nowhere near as rapid as my mk1 si was. Unusual for the cops to use a 2.0 mondeo as a traffic car though????

·
Registered
219 Posts
not really no, i mean were talking early to mid 90s. the cars the police use are cheap and reliable and easy to upgrade, why do you think they use astras? the pursuit cars at the moment are the T5, Monaro VXR and i saw a old 5 series bmw estate the other day on the m1.

·
Registered
205 Posts
In the old mk1 you will find that it has got a close ratio gearbox, The ECU will be code DEEP which has be enhanced. The engine side would of had the cam`s done so it would of been just like the Hendy engine. If you pull out the Dash surround you should find a black ice early warning system it is possiable to reconnect this but you will need to get a wire print out from ford at which point the should tell you its an ex force car.

3000 rpm sounds about rite mine used to run about that and went like a rocket.

·
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
coool thanks for that wayne.

Will tell the bloke in work

jcth1

·
Megger
70 Posts
In denmark they use both 2.0 and V6 , the 2.0 he has is an ex dog patrol unit car (we had to fit back seat and really clean it of all doggyhair , but he got it very cheap :) )

·
Megger
106 Posts
Talking from experience, generally most police cars only have uprated suspension and brakes.

Calibrated speedos are the norm on area and traffic cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.