Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MEG Sergeant
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just noticed the outside edge of both of my front tyres are now almost bald. They are just 1500 mile old Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's.

This is in addition to the odd sensation I get at full lock where it feels the tyre is being dragged along..

Any ideas?

·
MEG Corporal
2,646 Posts
I Got my ST24 wheels out last weekend and noticed that there is more wear on the outer edge of the N/S/F tyre. I'm putting this down to going round roundabouts and the fact that the side wall will flex onto the outer edge whilst under a turning load (does that make sense??) On my ST170 tyres there is hardly any difference over the width of the tyre (lower profile tyres so less flexing). Hope this is informative. :L

·
MEG Sergeant
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thing is its on the outer edge of both sides and the tyres have only been on there a month and a half. If the wear continues as it has done it'll be down to the canvas in another 6 weeks and that surely means something is wrong.

·
Big Megger
238 Posts
When was the last time you had the wheel alignment checked? To me it sounds like this is well and truly out.

·
MEG Sergeant
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the tracking checked when I first noticed the problem with the previous set of tyres.

I thought it might be a good idea to get 4 wheel laser alignment but the guys in the thread I made about the odd problem on full lock said this would not help?

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
too much toe in maybe :(

·
Geometry Guru
688 Posts
It would help!..... the toe must be / \ to wear the tyres so fast.... on a lock the Ackerman angle would be wrong and push the inner wheel during a turn....do your self a favour get a geom done and 'save' some money.

·
MEG Sergeant
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to sound like a newbie now but...

What do I need to do to get the geom done? Just go to a reputable tyre dealer and ask them to check my geometry?

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Fox2 said:
I'm going to sound like a newbie now but...

What do I need to do to get the geom done? Just go to a reputable tyre dealer and ask them to check my geometry?
no not all of them do it its best to phone around tyre places etc before going into one or you could be driving about everywhere.

took me a while to find a place to do 4 wheel alignment but i found somewhere local and they were cheap!!! tracking £20 and £40 for 4 wheel alignment.

anywhere with laser tracking the machines u put on the wheels can do 4 wheel alignment but when you do the back wheels (do them first) you use the guagues backwards i.e. if it says toe out its actually toe in and vice versa so if a place has this equiptment theyre talking rubbish if they say they cant do it or probably dont know what i found out so you might teach them something :L

·
Geometry Guru
688 Posts
Newbie nothing!..... you the recipient asked the question why should anyone belittle you?

Whilst i agree with Tolalguy's explanation, laser alignment is miss-understood in normal use let alone reversing the positions.....this would result in 'crap fit fitters' in Hospital with nose bleeds....

Full Geometry is the absulute..... not 'laser alignment' that's for Star Wars? and 'bloody noses'

Best Advice 'phone around' do it once....do it right.

·
MEG Sergeant
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today I had it checked. Apparently the allignment was absolutely miles out on the front - it should have been betweem -0.5 and 0.5 and it was... 5.9.

Got the printout somewhere.

Anyway, they fixed it for me, and now the odd dragging sensation on full lock has vanished.

Unfortunately though it seems I may need 2 new front tyres despite them being so new. The outside edges are bald :(

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
wheelsinmotion said:
Newbie nothing!..... you the recipient asked the question why should anyone belittle you?

Whilst i agree with Tolalguy's explanation, laser alignment is miss-understood in normal use let alone reversing the positions.....this would result in 'crap fit fitters' in Hospital with nose bleeds....

Full Geometry is the absulute..... not 'laser alignment' that's for Star Wars? and 'bloody noses'

Best Advice 'phone around' do it once....do it right.
i dont understand your post m8 im not 100% into this sort of thing im only going by what im told and ive had this done on mine main reason was because i had fitted uprated rear control arms and i never had a problem after i had 4 wheel alignment done, am i right or wrong? or am i right but geometry is better? could you explain please you know your stuff obviously considering all the posts and threads you have done.

·
Geometry Guru
688 Posts
You are right!...... my comments were only an expression that 'most' places that use laser alignment could not reverse the figures with true understanding.

Old school methods and real training are well and truly gone in my opinion, the belated fast fit bonus orientated replacement is dangerous to most and i feel passionate to warn everyone prior to this.

Please don't feel i am attempting to belittle your replies, this is very far from the truth, somthing i am not is hostile....... :L

·
Registered
94 Posts
[color:blue]Sorry If i sound out of place but how much did this cost and what did you ask for? :ponder:

I have the exact same problem but it took about 4 months to wear down the outer edges of my front tyre and I too have the same strange feeling of dragging wheels in full lock or fast cornering.

Have just replaced the tyres but want to get this sorted before i need to replace them again. I think this has happened since I replaced the Steering Rack and Front wishbones and springs[/color] :thankyousign:

·
MEG Corporal
1,162 Posts
After messing about with racks and wishbones, you should always get the tracking done. Tracking costs about £20

Wheelsinmotion is the person to ask, but a garage should know what you need just by you telling them what you have told us.

·
Registered
50 Posts
[quote name=Fox2]Hey all,

Just noticed the outside edge of both of my front tyres are now almost bald. They are just 1500 mile old Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's.

This is in addition to the odd sensation I get at full lock where it feels the tyre is being dragged along..

I have the same tyres and at 9000 miles the tyres are evenly worn,if they keep wearing at the same rate i should get maybe 18-20k miles from the fronts although i'm not exactly racing back and forward to work every day :kaffeetrinker_2:
Jim.

·
Registered
94 Posts
[color:blue]Thanks, just called the place where i usually get tracking done (not recently though)but they say its a Toe problem and wont touch it. its looking like Ford for me, anyone now what they would want for sorting this completly.

Usual tracking would be £22 so am willing to pay up to about £40ish (needing to do back brakes too so cheap solutions this month)

UPDATE: Just called Ford and they say £50.90 Inclusinve of VAT) to do a Full Geometry set, is this good?[/color]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts