Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever fitted the blanking plates that seem widely available on ebay for these? my fiesta has a problem i think with the egrv it occasionally seems to lose boost and go very very flat all the stuff ive read about these suggest its the egrv that may not be sealing, i had an identical problem with my transit, but that was a works van so it just went back to the garage. there seems a fair bit of mention of the egrv on ford forums, but not much mention of any merits or lack of them in fitting the blanking plates. anyone here done this mod?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i've just fitted a blanking plate onto mine this morning, no problems so far, throttle response seems alot better

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how long did it take you to fit, and what did you have to take off to do it, air inlet pipe for sure, but did you take the fuel filter off? ive go one that im going to fit,but im wondering if i can do it one evening or shall i wait till ive a full day at the weekend?

·
Registered
3 Posts
It took me around half an hour, i just took the whole air inlet system out that gave me enough room to slacken the bolts and slot the egr blank in, and retighten the bolts there isn't alot of room to work but it is possible

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool, thanks, i will tackle this one night. my little tdci is sweet running now the seals have been done, theres only the stuttering on art throttle to sort to make it right.

·
Titanium X Sport 2.2
96 Posts
Blank it - or better still bypass if poss on a Fiesta - the EGR is ONLY there to reduce NOx emissions & a fully functioning EGR will clog your inlet manifold with gunge sooner or later.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, i did this job today, and it was pretty simple so i will run through it for anyone else thinking of it.
my 1.4 tdci fiesta is a sweet running 135000 miler, its just had the injector seals replaced and runs well with no smell in the cab. the only blight was a hesitancy when pulling away, it almost felt like a misfire. now if you have a heavy right foot, you probably wont notice it as much, but if you are a tightfisted scrimping miserly old skinflint like me, you will begrudge every drop of fuel you pay for and so wont want to hammer the car to keep your consumption figures as good as poss. unfortunately, when you are light on the throttle on acceleration then a passing egrv becomes really noticable, in town the stuttering when you just get rolling gets right up your nose, and the little fiesta becomes a bit of a chore. so, something needed to be done, and it seemed a blanking plate was the answer.
now you can make your own, you can cut one out of a piece of thin ally, and ive even heard of beer or coke cans being trimmed to shape. however, remember this. buying one on ebay will set you back under a fiver, and theres more than a fivers worth of skinned knuckles, scratched hands trapped fingers and hassle in having to take the egrv completely off in order to mark a template to make a plate and then put it back. in short, spend the fiver. as soon as you get to the bolts on the egrv you will be mentally buying me a beer for this advice.
so, the egrv is on the back of the engine, open the bonnet and the egr is on your right behind the motor near the battery. you cant see it yet, so just take my word for it. you will need a long flat screwdriver, a torx bit for the air filter cover bolts, a 7mm socket and ratchet, and a 10mm socket with a 4 inch extension and a ratchet.
you will also need a lump of nice clean rag or a handfull of kitchen towel, i will explain in a moment.
so, bonet up, remove the air filter cover and filter and put them somewhere safe. next remove the air inlet pipe that goes from the top of the radiator back and round the rear of the right side of the engine (this is the engine as you stare forlornly at it from the front with the bonnet up).
now we have to take account of the law of sod. sods law dictates that you will spend a million years on a golf course trying to knock a ball into a hole, and every time you aim at the flag, you go in a pond, a bnker or up a tree. sods law also dictates that if the object of golf was to knock the ball into a bunker, then every shot wold see the ball clipping the flag and dropping into that hole. so, what has this got to do with your car? youve removed the air filter, you have a big hole where a dropped bolt would do no damage as it would be on the other side of the air filter and you could easily reach it to remove it. next to that is a small hole leading down to the turbo, its pretty small, and if you spent an evening trying to deliberately flick a bolt down this hole, you would fail. however, as this is the last thing you want to do (speaks the voice of bitter experience) you really want to take your lump of rag and block this hole off, as sure as sh1t, every nut bolt spanner, socket etc you drop will be magnetically drawn down this hole into the turbo feed and possibly depending on your luck, the turbo itself. be warned!!
ok, so to begin.
remove the 2x7mm bolts from the top of the fuel filter.
now you can remove the metal cover from the top of the fuel filter.
remove the torx bolt that goes into the side of the fuel filter securing it to the mounting bracket.
unpug the two fuel pipes onto the fuel filter and pull the filter to the side carefully.
into the bottom of the fuel filter is a green plug with some wires connecting it to the wiring loom, carefully unplug this connector and remove the filter and put it safe (and the right way up or you will have a puddle of derv to clean up after).
ok, there, secreted away is the egrv. you might want to remove the rubber pipe onto the side of it to improve access but remember to plug it back in after. it is held onto the back of the head by 2x10mm bolts, you will need the socket and extension to unfasten them. dont take them out. just undo them a few turns. the idea here is to loosen the bolts enough so that you can slip the plate between the egrv and the head. removing it is unnecessary, and by the time you get this far, you will know how fiddly it is. to get at. the blnking plate you buy has slots in it instead of holes, so you just slide it into place without removing the valve. you might need the screwdriver to gently pry the valve away from the head. once you have fitted the plate, tighten the two bolts back up and put it all back together. but DONT FORGET TO REMOVE THE RAG!!!!
now finally pump the fuel primer on the end of the head, when you pump it first, you can hear the fuel and air in there. after a few pumps the noise will change and you will feel the resistance as the fuel pumps the air out of the way.
and thats it, fire it up and take it for a spin.
mine was transformed by the fitting of this plate. its smooth and the stuttering and uneven acceleration has completely gone. its like a different motor. if youve got probs with the egrvon your fiesta. this is the mod to do. it took me about an hour and minimal tools. but well worth doing.
in terms of difficulty, its really probably 5 out of 10, its fiddle to get at the valve. but its simple enough if you know how to use a spanner. take your time, have a brew and pick a sunny day and you will manage it easily.
anyone contemplating tackling this who wants any info, pop a post here and im sure folk will help out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i tried that, but i have big hands so it was tricky enough without leaving the filter on. without it, you can see the egrv, makes it easier. and i cant believe the improvement!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to bring up this 1-year-old topic, but I wanted to ask if the Fiesta's you guys are talking about are the 'old' MK6's (2002 - 2005) or the newer MK6.5 (2006 - 2008). I heard that the EGR on the older model is vacuum controlled, while it's electronic on the newer model.

Apparently, if you completely blank off the electronic EGR-valve, the malfunction indicator light will turn on after a while because the car detects that there is no EGR flow. Drilling a 6mm hole in the blanking plate is supposed to be a workaround for this issue. Have you guys experienced this problem?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm just in the process of doing this mod right this minite, couple of questions, doesn't the 6mm hole defeat the object of blanking off also does the butterfly have to be tied back like in the old Transits?

·
Registered
5 Posts
From what I've heard, the 6mm hole (obviously) lets some of the exhaust gasses pass through, but much less than without a plate, so the effect should be about the same but the EML light should stay off. I haven't personally verified any of this though...

I'd love to hear your experience with blanking your EGR. What kind of Fiesta have you got?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes i made the blanking plate out of 4 layers of beer can then drilled the 6mm hole in the middle, to cut the blanks i used the EGR gasket as a template.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i bought a ready made blank plate from ebay , no hole in it and i fitted it as it was, it went in ok and the light hasnt come on, i cant see how the egr blanking plate can bring the engine light on, there isnt a sensor downstream of the egr to detect anything and i cant se anything upstream either. i suppose if your egr solenoid was knackered anyway that might trigger a warning light, but as it is the egr still opens and closes, it just doesnt do anything! mine ran much better with it blanked off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
John, I suppose you have a pre-facelift model (2002 - 2005)? From what I've read on other forums, the 2005+ models have an electronic EGR valve with a sensor that will detect when the EGR passage is blocked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting! I might try to put in a blanking plate without a hole in my 07 plate 1.4 tdci and see if it causes the EML light to come on. If the light goes on, will the car also go into limp home mode? I should try to avoid that from happening when my gf is driving the car, 'cause otherwise

@Trigger1, does the car drive better since you blanked it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts