Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right i had the car up on the ramps today to change an exhaust rubber, thats all sorted but i noticed a small hole in the centre box (under the handbrake area). i want to remove that box and just get a stainless stell pipe put in there, it it make the car mega loud? or will it only increase the volume slightly??? i dont want it too loud you see.

also am i right in saying that its not a cat and therefore there wont be a problem removing it when it comes to MOT time.

cheers :L

·
Big Megger
233 Posts
It is the cat and it wont fail the MOT if you replace it with a (decat) pipe.

Many of us have done it, the other cats on the two down-pipes do enough to meet UK rules.

It doesn't increase the noise much either, or performance IMHO, it does make the car run smoother I reckon.

I bashed the guts out of mine, but if you have a hole in yours, then you'll need the pipe.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lovely cheers matey.

mine runs pretty smooth at the moment but anything thats gonna make it run even smoother is a good thing i guess.

i take it the box at the rear on the passenger side is the silencer then? if i removed that aswell would that make it alot louder?

·
Big Megger
300 Posts
Think you may have been mislead, the cat is just behind the front sub-frame then behind the cat there is a silencer. Dont remove the back box, it'll make it boom like hell, definate headache on a long journey.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if i removed the box under the hand brake and the box on the passenger side at the rear would it be really loud? so basically i will just have the cats and the back box??

·
Big Megger
300 Posts
Yes, not only loud but probably sound awful. You can make it flow better without removing these components. It would probably lose power and screw up your fuel economy if you remove them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts