Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Big Megger
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed the exhausts on MK2 mondeos come out the back on the left, the right or both.

Why do some use the left and some the right?

I thought it might have been a change one year but mine is a 1998 and on the left; but i've seen earlier and later models where the exhaust is on the right.

Probably a very simple answer to this but I don't know!

·
Big Megger
174 Posts
afaik a left hand exit is a 1.6 or 1.8 engine. right handed exit is for the 2.0 engined cars. the twin exit it is a standard fit unit was for the V6 models, although that cant be taken for granted now as a lot of people are fitting twin exit aftermarket systems to there cars

·
Resident Old Fart !
7,070 Posts
Mines 2litre and left hand exit :)

·
MEG Admiral
2,642 Posts
mine comes out on the drivers side, and twin is for the st200

·
Big Megger
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well mine's a V6 (1998 ST24) and exhaust is on the left.
I've seen other V6's with the exhaust on the right.

I know of a 2.0 petrol with the exhaust on the right whereas Dave6656's is on the left.

·
Uncle Nasty
9,086 Posts
I've always took it as...

1.6/1.8..left(passenger side)
2.0...could be any side..
2.5..right side..
st200..both sides..

thats mk1 and mk2....mk3 I've no idea,don't look at them too much(too germanic for my liking.. :whistling: )...

·
One time Mondeo owner - now an outlaw!
6,199 Posts
Mine has the exit on the left, yet there is an R plate 2 litre Ghia X hatch round the corner from me with a right hand exit...

·
at Vanishing Point....
3,994 Posts
Mal said:
1.6/1.8..left(passenger side)
2.0...could be any side..
2.5..right side..
st200..both sides..
As said by Mal, on the Mk1 and Mk2, the 1.6 and 1.8 petrol and the TD are all left hand exit.

The 2.0 could be either side, except on the late Mk2's, which are left hand exit. No Idea why Ford fitted the extra silencer box on some 2.0?

The V6's have a right hand exit, except the ST200, which had a tailpipe on both sides :L

Mk3's, iirc they all exit on the left except the ST220. But no doubt someone may correct that if the Mk3 V6's exit on the right lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.