Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone knows the best route to wire them in , the best bet to me seems to tee in to the wire that supplies the flashing led built into the clock , good or bad idea , thanks in advance --- paul :L

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just making it a bit more visible , the led and a holder only cost 50 odd pence from maplin and they are 12 v so i wont have to mess about with a resistor , and the way most of the mk 3 dashbord just unclips has made it a doddle to drill a hole into the heater vent near the window and then route the wires to the clock , just need to find out which wire i need that goes into the clock now :whistling: :D

·
MEG Captain
4,635 Posts
on my mk1 i fitted a dummy alarm led in addition to the cat1 alarm led....easy to wire in just earth it and connect the live to the parking light wire on the back of the ignition switch.....

this wire is only live when the ignition is off so the led is lit....switch the ignition on and the led is off.........

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
now that has thrown me , my logic was ........ , if i get a multimeter and find the wire that pulsed then i had found the wire i could tap into to power the extra led / led's , not sure that it sounds so good now :( , if i did find that wire would i be on the wrong track or not i wonder :confused:

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
now i see , wont get a chance till the weekend now , but i will post back how i get on :L

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
right ............... , so far so good , i have pulled the connector off the back of the clock , i have found the permanent live no problem but i am now struggling as to how to find the alarm negative pulsed wire , i have a choice of 3 and i dont want to go blowing fuses if i can help it , if anyone has a mk 3 manual that could help out i would really appreciate it :L , the permanent live is red / yellow if i remember correctly :whistling: :D

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and go to earth with the other multimeter wire i presume :confused:

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
correct , but i would still need to find an ignition off live wouldnt i :whistling:

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
guardtower said:
well ................. i cant find the source for the flashing led :( , can anyone help me out a bit more :L

·
LED Extraordinaire
8,458 Posts
Looking at the alarm led on a freshly opened mk3 clock........
Alarm led live is the bottom right and the negative for it is the bottom left.
These are as you look at the plug the right way up and have the pin holes facing you :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.