Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Crazy Coder :)
2 Posts
Hi! Happy Ford Mondeo MK3 (petrol) owner here :)

My engine light went on the other day (fixed now, nothing important), which got me into the world of OBD2.

I got quite excited, cause I'm a programmer, and messing with OBD2 sounded fun :) (still does, actually :) )

After a bit of research I decided I wanted a "F Super" reader, cause it was mentioned as a good one for Ford Mondeo MK3's.

I only later realized that it's good only really for the diesel's, and pretty poor for the petrol's. Ahwell, lesson learned, atleast it is very cheap :)

If you're reading this and you think of buying a "F Super" reader and have a petrol or newer Ford, you're probably better of with something ELM compatible,

it will have far better software support, and will perform better.

So I have a "F Super" now, and since I did pay money for it, I'm seeing what I can do with it. And learned quite a few things along the way already.

Seemed a good idea to have a Thread about it, so others may learn from it too :)

Let's start with hardware

Firstly, the "F Super" is in fact a knockoff of the Ozen Elektronik chip 'OE90C2610'.

I'm sure it's not the original, for starters because the real chip sells for about two hundred euro's :)

But also because the chip in the "F Super" doesn't match the 'OE90C2610' in any way (I opened the casing, and had a look :) ).

Circuit component Green Passive circuit component Font Rectangle

I think the text on it is:

STM8S208 - RBT6 - GH208 VG - CHN GH 035

Which would make it a generic STMicroelectronics programmable 8-bit microcontroller :)

The 'OE90C2610' comes in a plcc28 which certainly isn't what this one is, and I think the STM8's don't even come in that package.

Not sure how they made a knockoff tho. It's quite well possible they copied the firmware from the real chip somehow, and programmed the other chip with that,

or they just reimplemented it from scratch. No idea :)

Both the OE90C2610 and it's copy communicate to the PC with a rs232 port, which means you need a second chip to convert it to USB :)

For the "F Super" this is the FTDI FT232R, this is the part you need an actual driver for.

The 'USB driver' for the "F Super" can be found here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Next up, software

Well, I already mentioned the driver needed.

The driver creates a virtual COM port on your PC, which you can then select in the software.

The actual software for the "F Super" / OE90C2610 is called 'FORmiDable', and can be found here: http://www.ozenelektronik.com/?s=software

Some notes about 'FORmiDable':

• It is the only software available that works with the "F Super" / OE90C2610. All the other software for ODB2 works with 'ELM' based devices, which these are NOT.
  • There is a copy of the same software which you can find in some places, called 'FordScan'.
    It looks a bit different, but that's because some people hacked some other pictures in. It is in fact identical to 'FORmiDable'.
  • I think it's rather poorly written :) It hangs whenever it's waiting for the device to do something.
  • On petrol Mondeo MK3's (and probably serveral others), it's functionality is very limited, you only get PCM and Airbag, and only a small set of the displays on PCM.
  • Supposedly on diesel Mondeo MK3's it does let you program the injectors.

And then, erm, stuff! :)

Right, I'm crazy, so I'm trying to write some software of my own which will work with the "F Super" :)

In fact I have already, but it only shows RPM at the moment :)

I shall update this post as this progresses ;)

Something I noticed is that the thing seems rather slow. On my petrol Mondeo it uses the Ford 'Standard Corporate Protocol' (which is based on J1850 PWM),

which should be something like 41.6 kbaud. The RS232 interface on the chip is 9600 baud (9.6 kbaud), which obviously would bottleneck the SCP bus.

But even 9600 baud would be about 1200 bytes per second, and with about 14 bytes needed to get one RPM reading (for example),
I would be able to get about 85 readings per second. Field tests show about 13 readings per second, boo :)

Now it could be that the engine actually doesn't give me data any faster, and that I'm blaming the device for something that's not it's fault,

I'd be quite interested what kind of rate someone with a ELM device gets ;)

At the moment I'm using mode 22 (SAE J2190) requests to get the RPM data, which is the same as the 'FORmiDable' software uses, and which the OE90C2610 has a specific command for.

I think it should be able to do the 'open' OBD2 commands too, but it looks a bit harder, since the OE90C2610 doesn't support it very well.

I've snooped a bit at what the 'FORmiDable' software does by using a open source virtual 'null modem' (com0com), and a bit of my own software to log what

is sent over the port :) Mayby somewhere in the future I'll see if I can get someone with a diesel to do the same, then I could support some diesel functions in

my own software ;)

If I do go on with this, some interesting features could be had, logging would be an easy option, I can probably even make something for Android, though you

would need a Android device which allows you to plug in a USB cable :) And ofcourse the UI doesn't hang all the time like it does in 'FORmiDable' ;)

Right, that'll be enough for now, more to follow :)

Feel free to comment with questions, remarks, suggestion, spelling mistakes, and all that :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
31,104 Posts
Software is what holds it back, A lack of logging. It's not the only software that works with it :)

Scantool for Mobydic? I will have a look tomorrow.

I have tinkered with the com ports also. Watched the data flow and had lists of channels for each

data output.

But i never got past the nosy test if it works stage.

·
1 Posts
Hello cranphin et al !

Thanks for checking the F-Super Box, saves me open it..... I own 3 OBD adapters, The F-Super, an Diamex DX35 and an ELM327 china clone. And several OBD software programs. (Some Andorid, some WIN based)

For many months I want to check the TCF (Transmission Fluid Temperature) PiD.

Today I have succeeded with a software called "ForScan". It gave me immediately sensable results. The software worked fine via Bluetooth with the ELM clone on a WIN laptop.

Best regards from Germany.

Car: Mondeo Mk3 V6, 2004, 5-gear, Auto Jatco506

·
MK3madman
316 Posts
Hi crankpin!

Amazing amount of info , I shall be following with interest :)

I used my f super fault reader for the first time this week, took a while to get it going and had to install the 64bit version because for some reason the 32 bit file wouldn't install on my vaio.

Do think I could get the f super to work with one of these iOS apps you can get for the iPad ??

Posted Via The Free TalkFord.com App

·
Super Moderator
31,104 Posts
Depends on what chipset the software works with. Most are ELM based so not they wont

work with it.

You need MobyDic compatible software.

·
MK3madman
316 Posts
Depends on what chipset the software works with. Most are ELM based so not they wont
work with it.

You need MobyDic compatible software.
Cheers for the reply purple,

ELM is the type of interface on newer vehicles isn't it?

What's mobydick compatible ? Is that the chipset in the f super?

Posted Via The Free TalkFord.com App

·
Super Moderator
31,104 Posts
Nope. ELM is the chipset used by the reader.

Bit like your computers CPU. Intel chipset will vary from an Apple chipset.

I have an ELM chipset (320) i think. I bought and used on a petrol MK2 Mondeo.

·
Little Megger
6 Posts
have just bought a f-super "2" cable and am pretty disapointed in what i have found I can/cannot do with just the formidible software. :( yes I wanted to check the DTC's but also I wanted to use ForScan to be able to make a bunch of little changes to the car. gutted.

My other two ELM adapters (one usb and one BT) do not want to speak to the car (st220). I was thinking that the obd2 port was knackered until i used the f-super and it actually connected ok to the port.

have ordered a usb host cable in the vague hope that Torque for Android can talk to the F-Super adapter and provide live readings. then it won't be so much of a waste of flippin money.

Would absolutely love it if you could hack together an app which does the same as forscan but uses the f-super cable. might have a word with the forscan guys to see if its viable to change the way the app can talk to maybe use the f-super...

is it the case that what ever should be changable in the cars config using ELM should be able to be changed using any other protocol/chipset?

·
Super Moderator
31,104 Posts
The F-Super is best for MK3 diesels really. It will read live data on your ST220.

Lambda sensor data, throttle, MAP etc etc..

You cant make changes unless you have the IDS or similar. Even then its limited. Not a lot of info around

on what can and cannot be done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.