Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Copied from my update to an earlier very long thread going back several years:-
The original thread, which illustrates all the issues encountered over the years, with Sync and map updates

davecm said:
A new "map update" of 0 Bytes was shown as available today. In fact it's not a map update at all, it's a new version of the Interrogator.zip (with a different name) utility for creating a log file, when an update fails to do so.
It's possible that having installed and run it, and uploaded the resulting log file, that after a day or 2, an actual new map update might become available. It did create a log file, which I uploaded successfully.
I'll post back here with the outcome.
I had read somewhere that free map updates are only available when the car is under warranty. Anyone know if that is the case? Anyone succeeded in downloading free map updates out of warranty, or know what the latest map version is?
The car is booked in for a service in a couple of weeks, so if a new version is available, but not free, I will ask them to install it.
I found information to the effect that map updates are intended to be free for the life of the car, provided you do them yourself via the website.
After a few days a new map update of 20-something GB was available for download. Guessing this must be F10 maps.
However, Ford seem to have re-implemented their "improved" method of creating the download for each car on the fly, as opposed to simply downloading the correct pre-prepared zip file to match the VIN. A message indicates "This process may take a few minutes ", which is the understatement of the century.
As before, their "improved" method still doesn't work, and on the 2 days I tried multiple times to download the map update, the process ran for an hour or more and terminated each time with an error. A number to call for advice is provided. The advice was to wait until it works, or ask a dealer to install the update.
Ford customer service advise they are aware of the issue and working on a fix, which could take several weeks.
My car is booked in for a service and MOT on Thursday. The dealer advised that if I wanted them to do the update, to let them know the day before, so they could download the update onto a USB stick overnight, and they would install it while the car was being serviced, at an additional cost of £49.

If anyone gets the new download process to work anytime soon, you could post the results and any new issues encountered here.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ford dealership tried and also failed to create the download for the F10 maps. When I booked it in for service, they said they would prepare the download onto a USB stick overnight and install it while they had the car. They also said they too use the website, (which isn't working) to produce the download, but if that failed they could use another method.
When I collected the car, they said the website attempt had failed, and then denied there was another method, but they do have a proven history of systematically lying about the availability of updates, and quoting inflated prices, in order to deter customers from having them installed.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I downloaded them and installed them today. Sync says maps are F10 but didn't generate a log file. Tried doing the update again but Sync won't install the maps as it's already at that version.

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As there was no likelihood of my doing an uninterrupted 2 hour drive anytime soon, I experimented with splitting the F10 map update into 2 parts, as by default my USB stick downloaded files would have installed in a single 2 hour process, requiring 2 hours of continuous driving, based on what happened with the F9 update.

The method which worked was to edit the Autoinstall.lst file, changing the line in the middle of the file from "Options = Autoinstall" to "Options = Delay". That's how all the map updates prior to F9 worked, installing in 2 parts with a car restart in between.
The first part of the update took around 45 minutes, and then prompted for a key cycle.
After shutting down and restarting, the second part took a little over an hour.
Then there was a prompt for another restart, as expected, followed by a message after the restart indicating "System Updated". Checking the map version at that point showed F10 had installed.
Then, unexpectedly, there was a further message prompting for another restart to install updates. I ignored that one, switched off, and removed the USB stick in case it tried to reinstall again from scratch.
The xml file for uploading was created on the USB stick and uploaded without an issue.

Another method of splitting the update into two parts, suggested on a different Ford forum, did not work. I had tried that earlier. That involved making 2 identical USB sticks, then commenting out everything after the Options = Autoinstall on the first stick, and commenting out all the lines up to the Options = Autoinstall on the second stick.
On attempting that, the first stick failed with a BG_MAP_ERR.

Not exactly a green solution to unnecessarily guide owners to make a 2 hour drive just to update maps. It's time Ford got their act together.

·
Registered
509 Posts
You can create a log file by downloading and running the USB download on the Ford Sync troubleshooting page.
Log file generator (https://www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxeu/rhd/central/owners/resources-and-support/sync-&-bluetooth-support/update/documents/Interrogator_AD.zip)
Then upload the xml file as normal.
Thanks for the link it worked perfectly though I did have to download the maps again to get the link to upload the file. Hopefully next time there's a map update it won't be so big :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts