Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all, started my mondy this morning and was greeted with flashing glow plug, no surprise really.

Car is 2004 130bhp TDCi with 168,000miles

Fault read as P0404 - EGR control circuit range/performance.

It is lumpy and smokey on a cold start for about 30 seconds to a minute before it settles down and I drive away (gently) and then it's fine for the rest of the day.

What can I do about it the fault?

Here's a pic of when I took my egr out about 1500 miles ago, looks fine to me:

·
Old Fords never die they just keep on rolling.
3,051 Posts
That does look fairly clean.

Are you euro 3 or 4?

Try blanking off the EGR and see if it makes a difference. Possible the valve isn't closing completely, leaking exhaust gas into the intake and strangling the engine a bit.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That does look fairly clean.

Are you euro 3 or 4?

Try blanking off the EGR and see if it makes a difference. Possible the valve isn't closing completely, leaking exhaust gas into the intake and strangling the engine a bit.
Euro 4 (electrically controlled turbo actuator)

I was thinking about blanking it, have you done yours?

Also do you know what EGRp means on Formidable? Have a look at this pic, I think it relates to how much the EGR is open and at idle it should be shut so not sure if it should read 0mm and not 1.6mm? At 2,000rpm it goes to 2.6mm as expected.

·
Old Fords never die they just keep on rolling.
3,051 Posts
Mines is euro 3 and I have had it blanked for 150.000 miles now.

You could try a temporary plate just to see if it cures it. That way you can decide to replace it or fit a proper blanking plate.

·
???
3,628 Posts
I think EGRd is the on/off duty cycle that the ECU applies to the EGR vacuum line, (i.e. a measure of what EGR setting the ECU wants) and EGRp is the actual position of the EGR valve.

The valve is a poppet valve and is really quite difficult to access for cleaning so it may very well not be closing correctly. Michael's suggestion of fitting a blanking plate (even if only temporarily) is the best test.

Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts