Ford Automobiles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Little Megger
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car went into limp mode the other day. It struggles to start the first time with loads of smoke, but there after it starts fine and drives ok, its just slow as its in limp mode.

the glow plug light flashes all the time.

I took the car in to check the fault codes and it gave the following:

P2339 - cylinder 4 above knock threshold, poss ignition timing, knock sensor, fuel quality, mechanical fault.

We tried to clear the code with no luck at all.

The mechanic recommended some Forte injector cleaner, which I put in yesterday. But so far the problem is still there.

Anyone have any advice? I ALWAYS use good quality diesel. I try to only go to shell and BP and always use the vpower or ultimate diesel. the car has 110 000miles and is the 130bhp version.

Thanks

·
Little Megger
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ah silly me should of searched the forums lol.

How much does an injector recode cost? And is it necessary to replace the injector? If so how much?

·
Little Megger
6 Posts
The only way to get out of the limp mode is recode the injector 4.I send you on PM the details you need.
I was in exact same situation 1 month ago with injector 3 and in 20 minutes with the right tool, evrything was fine again.

Regards

·
MEG Corporal
5,689 Posts
hi before you raise your hopes on recode too much .look at what you have ur mech says try injector cleaner and the fault codes say injector fault..you dont say when your injectors were serviced or even if they have been done .if they havent been done lately you shuld consider doing them as no amount of recoding is going to clear blocked or faulty injectors or pump fault either ..

·
Little Megger
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The injectors have never been serviced as far as I know. I took the car over from my dads company.

I have tried the injector cleaner and will try the recode and see how things go from there.

How much are injectors to replace?

Thank you for the advice so far.

·
Little Megger
14 Posts
Hi i have just been reading your post on tdci injector recoding could you please send me the info as i have the same problem on #3 cyl i pluged it on to the ford IDS system at the weekend but the code would not clear.

Would a faulty DMF cause the code to come up ? (it was sugested) i cant see how tho

·
Little Megger
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you ancaelvis for helping me out!!

Came to my house, recoded only that 1 injector and the car is perfect again!!!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
marklee0409 said:
Ah silly me should of searched the forums lol.

How much does an injector recode cost? And is it necessary to replace the injector? If so how much?
just got a quote for one inj 395.00 from frud trying to get an inderpendent garage to do it cheaper now mine is noticeably leaking thou

·
2 Posts
Hi

Mine is a similar Mondeo TDCi LX 2003 2L 130bhp Durotorq Turbo-Diesel (Common Rail) 110,000 miles.

A few months back the amber warning light showing a coil started blinking. It then went off for a few weeks so I ignored it.

It later started blinking again and I had a starting problem for the first time. The engine fired into life at the third attempt leaving a plume of smoke behind me. While driving I noticed the car had no turbo and limited acceleration (apparently called limp mode) so I called my local garage and took it in.

The diagnostic readout showed: CODE001: P2339 [25,10,23,39]. The garage translated this into 'Problem in no 4 cylinder'.

The garage reasoned injector 4 was failing and suggested sending the injectors for testing. There is no capable tester on the Isle of Wight so all four were sent to the mainland. I was told testing would cost £100 but that could be re-claimed against any refurbished injectors required. I was told re-con injectors cost £180+VAT each but brand new injectors cost hundreds more.

On test all four injectors failed to meet recommended performance targets! I agreed to the re-conditioning of all the injectors. Apparently each injector has a casing and the parts inside are replaced.

Unfortunately when the re-con injectors arrived injector 4 failed to work and had to be sent back to be replaced with another re-con injector. This suggests the injector supplier did not test their re-con work before sending the re-con parts to my garage. My car was un-drivable for more than a week.

So the first bill was £1013.83 Inc. (£119.85+VAT labour, £720+VAT for four re-con injectors, £2.99+VAT consumables, £20+VAT carriage).

The cars performance was then worse than when we started because the new re-con injector 4 was not coded to the engine. The amber light was still blinking. We were all told it would re-code itself within 1000 miles but the performance was so poor we had it re-coded manually. This is known as 'injector reprogramming using IDS'. We are not even certain it would have re-coded automatically.

Because of the local demand for the re-coding service none of the three island garages able to perform it could do so within two weeks so I was driving it in limp mode for that time.

The second bill (Premier Ford, Isle of Wight) was £138.65 (£118+VAT). From other posts this seems high for re-coding one injector but I just wanted the car back. This was charged at cost by my garage.

The warning light is now off, and the car runs cleaner than before the light started blinking.

Wightowl

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
salta said:
hi before you raise your hopes on recode too much .look at what you have ur mech says try injector cleaner and the fault codes say injector fault..you dont say when your injectors were serviced or even if they have been done .if they havent been done lately you shuld consider doing them as no amount of recoding is going to clear blocked or faulty injectors or pump fault either ..
does that only apply to tdci's then?

·
Little Megger
6 Posts
I'm sorry because you spend a lot of money on a such an easy problem. P2339 - is cylinder 4 above knock threshold and can be solved very easy just recoding the injector in a few minutes and with no more than 30 pounds.They just take your money for nothing.
Are they recoded all injectors?
Because when the injectords are re-conditioning they should have a new code and that code have to be programed again in your car computer for each injector re-con.
Regards
Elvis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts