Ford Automobiles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all I have just changed 2 injectors due to excess leak off, problem is it idles ok but cuts out while driving and seems to be missfiring on acceleration . They were programmed as per the replacement code on the injector .

·
Super Moderator
29,378 Posts
Leakoff test on the new ones. Some are not reconditioned very well and

maybe as bad as the originals.

When was the fuel filter last changed?

What faults codes are you getting with an OBD reader?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, no fault codes on the reader ,and the filter was changed about a year ago but only done a couple of hundred miles due to lockdown. Driving home tonight seemed smoother but had coil light pop up so will check leak off tomorrow if the weathers fine.

Thanks

·
Little Megger
4,329 Posts
Hi, diesels don't really miss fire, but if it is occuring around the 2krpm mark, then it could well be a split in a boost pipe is causing it.... well worth inspecting them.

·
Megger
2,246 Posts
Depending upon the age of the car and mileage, based upon my experience, I would empty the contents of the fuel filter into a clean yogurt pot and run a magnet under it to check for any metallic particles (dust?) If present, good chance the high pressure pump is nearing its sell-by date.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, rechecked leak off with the new (refurbed injectors ) and both are under 25 ml, I found a couple of the leak of washers had tiny splits so changed them all and the clip holding the pipes from the injectors to the pump was undone so have relocked that. No splits in the turbo pipes and still no dtcs . After messing about with the leakoff pipes and changing the washers I found I had to top up the filter so thats the next thing to change as looking at the live reading the fuel pressure seems fine in idle and goes up to 19k at about 2500 revs . No cut outs on the test drive just the flashing coil popped up climbing local hill

Thanks for all the info.

·
Little Megger
4,329 Posts
Hi, just be aware that if the flashing coil is due to low fuel rail pressure, then after a while the ecu cuts the engine out and you have to quickly push in the clutch and coast while turning ignition off then on and restarting the engine. This clears the error and lets you drive on. I did that for about a year. Funnily enough, it usually happened around 40mph, not at top speed, it would cruise quite happily at 70mph, but not at 40, which was bad news driving in roadworks on the motorways. It really spooked the wife especially at night when the headlights went off with the ignition momentarily.
Anyway, if you suspect the pump, and you can monitor live data, then a useful test is to disconnect the injector electrical connectors, and the electrical connector on the IMV, (on the back of the pump) then, monitoring the frp (fuel rail pressure) crank the engine and the pump should attain a minimum of 1000 bar if its good. My 2 tired s/h pumps only got 800 and 850 bar, so gave me the above grief.

·
Megger
2,246 Posts
"push in the clutch and coast while turning ignition off"

I have found that improves the mpg considerably!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you confirm the plug on the back of the pump, is it the blue or brown one?

·
Little Megger
4,329 Posts
The IMV is that lump sticking out of the back of the pump. The other plug is for the fuel temp sensor that screws into the pump, which I think is blue or green. So yes, I think the IMV plug is the brown one. (not been out to check, just from memory)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that , I will try that tomorrow to see how good the pump is ,I am using Forscan which only shows psi any idea what the equivalent is to 1000 bar?

·
Little Megger
4,329 Posts
Google wil give you a conversion thingummy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all , just checked pump pressure with all injectors disconnected and brown connector on pump disconnected came out at 1378 bar . Found injector 2 leaking diesel from the electrical connector after the so have also changed that one.

Still cut out on test run all seem to do it after turning a corner ?

Awaiting replacement filter which is due Saturday

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just an update, gone for another run dtc has popped up P0251, is this just the injectors relearning or something else?

·
Super Moderator
29,378 Posts
P0251 Fuel metering. Faulty or a dodgy wire?

Cuts out when turning a corner, dodgy electrical connection would be my

first check.

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,210 Posts
Is that not what you unplugged to check fuel pressure? Did you clear the codes after you did it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi, no after unplugging the injectors and IMV I got a lot of dtcs P400s showing I had unplugged the injectors and pump connector , the P0251 came up after a test run after I replaced injector 2 . Seems to show a problem around 2000 revs (diesel knock)as if there is no fuel coming through funny thing is when it gets up to normal temperature it drives a lot better. I maybe gave the wrong impression when turning a corner its normally when you slow down and then accelerate away its inclined to cut out and also accelerating away after road humps , which parts deal with the fuel metering?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Further update , drove up to Oxford about 75 miles from home , it cut out 3 times before getting to the motorway but after that not a problem until we were half a mile from home in slow traffic on the way back it cut out again. Just drop it into neutral and it instantly restarts. Hopefully the fuel filter will sort this out .

·
Little Megger
4,329 Posts
In time, you'll get quite slick at that manoeuvre. :)
The trouble is, where your left hand is positioned on the wheel, the flashing gp light, is obscured.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Funny thing is the coil light is not coming on , just cuts out and leaves a P0251 code . You can see its going to happen as you ease off the accelerator the revs fall back and dip down to about 250 revs and it either cuts out or picks back up again. The filter has turned up so will fit it tomorrow and see if that makes a difference .

1 - 20 of 35 Posts