Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have posted this in the Fiesta section also but I am posting it here too as I would like to know where I stand on this matter, whether I should take the to small claims or not?

I just had my car serviced at a main dealer, major service (Motorcraft 4+). All is well driving it back from the garage until the next afternoon whilst returning from work I suddenly lose power as if the turbo has given up and I can hear a whistling sound. Since servicing it's done all of 10 miles, if that.

Take it straight back to the garage where they take it apart, quickly establish that somehow something has gotten past the air filter and gauze mesh into the turbo compressor and smashed all the blades to pieces. I could see pieces of blade resting in the oil recirculation after passing through the turbo (forgive me if this is not the correct terminology).

The mechanic held up the air box and shook it stating something like 'see there's bits in there, it sounded like there is perhaps the tiniest stone/washer whatever rattling around in there. How could there possibly be a way for anything to pass through a brand new air filter plus the mesh (completely undamaged mesh) and into the compressor?

I ask him this, he answers 'I have no idea'.

I tell him the car has been fine since I bought it over a year ago, is regularly serviced, just passed it's MOT with no advisories 2 weeks ago (the guy even said it's a really sound runner for a car with 77k/9yrs on the clock).

Basically the garage is not accepting any liability whatsoever and have told me their report deems that they are not at fault but cannot explain what has happened, just that is must be a huge coincidence. Bearing in mind the car is a sound runner, has had a major service every 10K, never had a problem with it, I drive it in with no problems and it blows the turbo a couple miles down the road. They have quoted me £770 for a new turbo and £150 to fit it, I am sure more work is required than this (surely after a turbo has failed shredding pieces of impeller into the engine I presume this should be a hell of a lot more work than a simple off/on job).

Please share any and all advice with me, I am stuffed. Feel like it's an ant versus an elephant.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
First, take photos, gather evidence.

Does your car insurance include legal?

Consider the CAB, AA, RAC etc for legal advice

Is your dealer part of the Motor codes organisation?

They have a dispute resolution service as an alternative to legal proceedings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to get some photos today, I have my MOT (only two weeks old) with no advisories on it too if that helps.

I will be getting in touch with Motor codes & contacting my insurance claims debt. to see if they can provide any legal advice or a complaints template I can complete & send to the garage.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
29,787 Posts
You need proof that they caused the damage.

Possibly just bad timing and a fracture in the turbo vanes decided todays

the day or the bearing gave out and the vanes hit the side of the housing.

Was there oil in the engine?

Unless you can prove they were negligent then you wont have much chance

in court.

·
I could do with a profile pic
1,855 Posts
Mot carries no weight. It's a safety check, not a report about a vehicles condition.

My guess is they've used an airline to clean out the air box !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I could do with a profile pic
1,855 Posts
Actually if the mesh is undamaged couldn't that indicate the turbo blew of its own accord and not contaminated when air box opened?

I guess it's not really a clear cut issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts