Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have a 'W' reg 2000 Fiesta Courier Van with the Duratorq diesel engine - really good van.

When its cold, first thing in the morning, it drives very well for the 5 mile journey to the school, then switch off for 15mins and I can drive half way back before limp mode.. acceleration fluffy, fan running etc. If I switch the ignition off and on, roll bump in 3rd or 4th and its normal for a short time again then limp mode again.

First thing to change was the fuel filter.. the van definately runs better when running, but the limp mode still appears.

Tried disconnecting the mass-airflow connector (pulled the plug out, van ran bit less power but limp mode came on again)

The fan in the van has always blown hot, so I thought the water must be okay but when I opened the expansion tank I was puzzled why there was no pressure and the water sort of luke warm - but no hissing or smells to suggest overheating. Anyway I thought that perhaps the thermostat was stuck so removed that and put the housing back with the rubber in place (no leaks, its fine) but the temperature in the van now gets luke warm and the water in the expansion tank is just luke warm...

Thing is that without beign allowed to have a temperature gauge in these models, I don't have any idea what the temperature of the engine is... Limp mode just comes on, no dash warning lights or anything to suggest whats up?

One other thing, as an experiment, I disconnected the big air intake pipe from the air filter box. I know your not allowed to do this but it was just to test, and guess what - for the first time ever I can actually hear the turbo whistle, and I'm fair impressed because you can sort of gauge your acceleration along the bypasss with the whistle (if you know what I mean)
Problem is that the turbo sounds a bit rusty, and when I've had to restart whilst pulling out across a junction and up a hill, I have to 'tempt' my acceleration with the sound of the turbo because too much and the van fails again.

Soooo much info, sorry to all - but this is just driving me crackers.

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually the engine says Endura on top - sorry about that, don't know where I got Duratorq from??? I've read so many posts on forums that I think I got a bit of information overload.

Well I've just been and picked up a new water pump but there's not a lot of room down the side of that engine. Does anybody know of an exploded diagram on the net of that side of the engine please?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so is the water pump tucked under the timing belt cover?

I've stuck a trolley jack under the engine and undone the three bolts holding the engine mount to the timing belt cover but before I start stripping things away, is there any tricks to this?

Does anyone have a guide to replacing the pump without affecting the timing belt etc... please?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts