Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My son is at Uni with his car a Fiesta Mk7 Zetec 2009. It fires every time when cold, however when warm, after a long run it fails to start. He has to wait 10 mins or so before trying again. I think this may be a known fault.

Can you anybody offer some advice please?

I fear taking it to a general mechanic will cost loads as the fault is intermittent and only over a long run - 60 mins or so.

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
29,785 Posts
Try flooring the thottle when switching off the engine, see if that makes any difference.

Faulty EGR valve?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply.

In hindsight I should have added, the engine does not turnover, it's as if the battery is flat.

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,260 Posts
Thanks for reply.

In hindsight I should have added, the engine does not turnover, it's as if the battery is flat.
Any clicks or noises from the starter motor whilst trying to turn over?

Pop a jump lead in the boot and when it happens put a lead from the negative battery terminal and the other end of the same lead to a bare metal part of the engine block and then try it. If it works you simply have a bad earth

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ben. No clicks or anything, totally dead. I wondered about earth but then discounted it as the car starts every time whencold.

Thanks for reply.

Any clicks or noises from the starter motor whilst trying to turn over?

Pop a jump lead in the boot and when it happens put a lead from the negative battery terminal and the other end of the same lead to a bare metal part of the engine block and then try it. If it works you simply have a bad earth

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, I have the car back at the moment. The car will not turnover when warm. The ignition performs as normal but there is a click (like the battery is flat) - 10 mins later it start fine. The starter motor is not operating for some reason.

Any ideas please?

·
Super Moderator
29,785 Posts
If there is a click then I would suspect the starter itself. You need to check for a voltage at the starter
motor though. But usually it will work perfectly when your checking so may take a while to catch it
in the act.

No voltage when it fails to start, ignition switch or solenoid, with voltage faulty starter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If there is a click then I would suspect the starter itself. You need to check for a voltage at the starter
motor though. But usually it will work perfectly when your checking so may take a while to catch it
in the act.

No voltage when it fails to start, ignition switch or solenoid, with voltage faulty starter.
Hi, thanks for your reply. Any idea of approx. cost for replacing start motor?

·
Super Moderator
29,785 Posts
One hour maybe two for labour. + parts. No idea what engine thought for that.

Worth checking the battery also to make sure its not a duff cell that overheats. probably
not but worth checking.
Don't tell a garage whats wrong though, let them find the fault then its down to them when
it doesnt work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts