Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've got Mondeo MK4 Turnier (2010) and have a problem with flashing interior and exterior lights when the engine is on (no matter if the engine is running at neutral or under load). The flashing frequency is very speed (lets say 3-4 flickers per second with a different intensity) The output voltage from the alternator is still around 14.7 Volts and the battery seems to be OK. Have you guys ever faced the similar issue before? Is there anyone who can give me a hint please?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2Mazo: Nope, when the engine is off, everything is OK. All lights are flashing only if the engine is on. What about the grounding of electricity? Could the flashing be due to bad grouding?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I get this, and with my brake and tail lights too - they all flicker slightly when the engine's running and idling. After some investigation a while back, I'm not the only person this happens to, and I've put it down to the way the Ford Smart Charging system operates rather than a widespread alternator fault, and I don't let it bother me! There seem to be no negative effects on any of the car's electrical systems anyway.

·
Registered
833 Posts
No I didn't. I have no solution. It doesn't appear to be causing any problems so I just forget about it!

·
Registered
833 Posts
That's the mk3 Mondeo, the wiring and alternator are probably completely different.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about it unless you start experiencing issues with alternator power, battery charging, error messages, etc.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
2Mazo: Nope, when the engine is off, everything is OK. All lights are flashing only if the engine is on. What about the grounding of electricity? Could the flashing be due to bad grouding?
That absolutely sounds like a bad alternator then. The battery will be powering the electrics with the engine off, alternator with the engine on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That absolutely sounds like a bad alternator then. The battery will be powering the electrics with the engine off, alternator with the engine on.
Alternator seems to work fine but I have my doubts about the rectifier or the way how the smart charging system works.. I will have to do some research and will see. Unfo, it is not the cheapest part to buy new & try :)

·
Little Megger
214 Posts
Me and Hcanning both have 2010 2.0 Ecoboosts that do this. Mine has been into Ford twice To have the electrics looked at and they couldn't find a problem, and given both our cars do it it could well be normal.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Alternator seems to work fine but I have my doubts about the rectifier or the way how the smart charging system works.. I will have to do some research and will see. Unfo, it is not the cheapest part to buy new & try :)
It may appear to work fine and put out good voltage, but unless you hook up a proper oscilloscope you'll never know if you're getting any sort of voltage ripples.

·
AKA The Twigg!
9,331 Posts
Mine does this.09 plate 2lt duratec engine. Battery and alternator have been checked and are fine. No dtc code or errors. So just dont worry about it.

Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.